No announcement yet.

Testing SED el-34s(review coming soon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing SED el-34s(review coming soon)

Hey guys I just got my new tubes from DougTubes. The tung-sol 12ax7 I got was even matched when I asked for a regular one. Well anyways I want to a basic check to see if the filaments even light up. Do you guys know if it a safe for me to put in the new SEDs in and just turn my amp on to check if they light up, then just shut off the amp without playing first. Just remember the amp has not been biased yet. I'm assume there won't be any wear on the tubes because no current is run through tubes and only the heaters turn on.

Well anyways I'll drop my amp by my tech tommorrow to get it biased. Then I'll be back for a review.
    Last edited by greendy123; 03-31-2006, 12:50 PM.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Re: Testing SED el-34s(review coming soon)

What lights up the tubes are just the heater filliments. The heater circut works seperately from the high voltage power supply, that remains off, untill the standby is switched on. It's safer to just bias the tubes or have them biased before playing the amp or letting it run with the B+ voltage (not on standby) hitting the plates for very long. There is the risk of melting down the tubes or damaging other componants otherwise.

Comment

Re: Testing SED el-34s(review)

Just got tubes biased today and they sound great. I would say the tone if very close to tone of the svetlanas made by sovtek. The bottom end sounds tighter compared to the svetlanas I had before. On distortion settings from light, medium gain I play at the bottom is tight, but still keeps that typical el-34 tone.
      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
      Fender Frontman 15g
      Cry Baby
      Boss DS-2
      Boss CE-3
      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Working...
      X