Tried a weird experiment today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried a weird experiment today...

So earlyer today I found my old Marshall MS-2 Micro amp thingy in a box. And since I hadn't touched it in About Five years, I decided to Play through it just ta see if it sounds as horrible as I remembered it sounding. And Yes, It does.
    But I also remembered that when I bought it (when I was 12 or something) The sales guy at the guitar shoppe said "Its tiny, But If you hook the head phone output to a Speaker cabinet It'll Drive the speaker cabinet." And I had Never actually tried it. So tonite I ran it through the speaker thats in my Fender Concert. And It was Barely audiable. Seriously Like a whisper, setting right in front of the amp I could Barely hear it. But it actually sounded really really cool, from what little I could hear. Not nessicarily Like a Marshall at all, But just a weird cool tone.
    But it got me thinking. The Headphone output, is Probably Not the correct impedance, and I'm guessing the wattage it puts out to the headphones Is Really low.
    So I Unscrewed the back, and looked at the speaker (which is Maybe 3 inches, or less). And on the back of the speaker it says "8ohm 0.8watts". So I unsoldered the connections to the internal speaker, and Soldered those connections to a 1/4" jack, and then Plugged that into the speaker on my Concert (after disconnecting the concerts speaker from the Fender amp of course). And Figured I'de still have to crank it. Nope. That stuff was LOUD. And it amazingly Sounds really decent. Not much highend, and Really mid heavy tone (even with the tone controll turned all the way up). But it sounds Really really kool. And is Really really Loud Considering how tiny the micro stack thingy is. I'm assumeing its probably less than a watt, Probably less than Half a watt. But its still damn loud.
    Now theres no way I'de Try and use this thing like this consistantly. But For random weird noises on recordings, It'll be a nice sound ta have.
    If anyone else has got one of these Micro amps that ya don't really use (and who actually uses those things?), I totally suggest Trying this experiment out. You'll be really surprised at how good it actually sounds through a Normal sized speaker. I know I am.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Re: Tried a weird experiment today...

Some of those things have an output that you can use to drive the front-end of the Fender Amp--which usually gives some rippin' distortion. Try plugging your HEADPHONE OUT to the input of your Fender amp at low volume and see how that works.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      Some of those things have an output that you can use to drive the front-end of the Fender Amp--which usually gives some rippin' distortion. Try plugging your HEADPHONE OUT to the input of your Fender amp at low volume and see how that works.

Bill
      yeah I actually did try that. But for some reason this thing has a stereo jack, so if I plug a cord in all the way it doesn't make any noise. But if I plug it in half way I get noise from the amp, and from whatever its plugged into. And also weird uncontrollable feedback.
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

i actually use those micro amps....... haha i just have mine for bringing to school. ya it sucks, but i can play through a little speaker that hooks to my belt. the fender micro amps actually have a half decent tone for being a micro amp. i wish i would have picked one of those up instead, but o well.
        my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
        fender dg20ce acoustic
        peavey blazer 15 watt
        line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
        Atomic Reactor 112
        Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Working...
        X