banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lost a capacitor and I NEED to find it... (470pf). Help please..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lost a capacitor and I NEED to find it... (470pf). Help please..?

I lost a component for my Madamp G2 kit (and yeah, I WAS very careful as to NOT let it happen...not enough it seems) and I really need it to finish the amp... It's a 470pf capacitor, non polarized, with a tolerance of up to 250V. It goes into a single ended 2W tube amp that I'm building. If you know of any websites that'd sell one, I'd be grateful. I can ONLY pay by paypal though...
    Last edited by Pierre; 03-31-2006, 11:28 AM.

Re: I love a capacitor and I NEED to find it... (470pf). Help please..?

That's an incredibly easy to find capacitor, I've got a box full of them if you want one.

Which do you need - ceramic disc or silver mica?
    Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Comment

Re: I love a capacitor and I NEED to find it... (470pf). Help please..?

What does the silver mica look like...?

I tried maplin and they didn't have it. 470PF doesn't seem that common over here. The one I had looked like a yellow long cylinder. Where do you buy yours?

Comment

Re: I lost a capacitor and I NEED to find it... (470pf). Help please..?

...wixed hands pierre the capacitor

Hey Pott, what good things are you up to today?

Hey tell the HC guys for me that a Laney Posse is goofy.
        Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
        Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

I would buy them from Metroamp.com if I needed them, but I bought a boxload of NOS capacitors from a guy on ebay.

The silver mica is a rounded rectangle shape, and is dark brown (colour has no effect on capacitor type though), and the ceramics are light brown and are small and circular shaped (flat disc).

They should both be good for what you need, I suspect that the capacitor is just a mixer bypass cap for the resistor after the volume control, right?

Ceramics tend to sound "grainier" while Silver Mica's tend to sound "smoother".
          Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords
            ...wixed hands pierre the capacitor

Hey Pott, what good things are you up to today?

Hey tell the HC guys for me that a Laney Posse is goofy.
            I didn't join for that same reason haha nice!

Ok so everyone and their sisters have that cap, stop making fun of me now
            Shredaholic, you're good. Yep it goes between the left pin (right is ground) of the volume control and to pin 7 of one of the tube sockets (the diagrams don't say which... Other things are connected to it, a resistor that starts at the left pin of the tone control and another cap... Anyway yeah it's a pretty classic design I suspect.

Comment

You could also substitute it with a 500pf and it'd still work fine, you'd be pretty hard pushed to tell the difference.
              Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

I have nothing really, and maplin don't carry anything that'd bear over 100V... and you have a PM

Comment

PM sent

I wouldn't advise getting it from maplin anyway, they'd charge you £2.99 shipping.
                  Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

They have a shop near here but they don't have much useful things for amp building.

Thanks a lot dude! I'll finally be able to get on with that project

Comment

They do tend to carry some items that I've needed for amp building before, such as mini toggle switches for custom mods that are a lot cheaper than what amp or guitar part retailers tend to sell them for (ie £1.49 for a DPDT switch), but it seems more and more they now try and cater for the computer/DJ/boy-racer-modding-his-car market.
                      Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

every "radio shop" should carry them I think/guess
                        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                        TS 7 (modded)
                        Hot Rod 50+ XL
                        Framus Dragon 4x12
                        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                        X