Best Attenuator for a Boogie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Attenuator for a Boogie?

For my Mark Series amplifier to be specific. I'm looking at the Weber, Dr. Z Airbrake, and the HotPlate. Which would you recommend, or would you recommend another?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Best Attenuator for a Boogie?

I heard a Dr Z once and it sounded good
    I can attest that the 8ohm Hot Plate sounded good on my Mark 2B
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

...and how much were you 'squishing' your amp with the HP?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
        ...and how much were you 'squishing' your amp with the HP?

The whole purpose of using an attenuator is to remove headroom. Removing that headroom is going to naturally compress the tone, no matter which attenuator you use.

Anyway, I use a Hotplate and rather like it.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
          The whole purpose of using an attenuator is to remove headroom. Removing that headroom is going to naturally compress the tone, no matter which attenuator you use.
          Yes, sir. I was asking him how hard he was running the HP... "How much are you 'squishing' your HP?"...

Anyway, I use a Hotplate and rather like it.

Comment

One nice thing about the Mark Series, if you have the Simul-Class version, you can switch down to the 15-watt Class A mode and get "squishy" real fast.

Nothing wrong with attentuators, just remember you will be driving your tubes a lot harder and they will need more frequent replacement.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I recommend a Dr. Z for anything as long as it's 100W and under.

Do a search for a little thing i wrote in favor of it for a recent thread and you'l read why i like it.

Comment

The Dr. Z in quite impressive...as long as you forget that there is a "bedroom" setting. The bedroom setting was the only setting that I felt really messed with the tone of the amp. I am also a fan of the Hot Plate but again, under heavy attenuation is really messed with the tone. The Kendrick attenuator is supposed to be an upgrade of the Airbrake but I have not tried it. I have also not tried a MASS yet but lots if guys have and love them
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                  The Dr. Z in quite impressive...as long as you forget that there is a "bedroom" setting. The bedroom setting was the only setting that I felt really messed with the tone of the amp.
                  I agree. Although I rarely use that setting anyway unless I'm playing ont he clean channel while talking to friends in the living room.

I don't try to turn my 100w tube Legacy into a practice amp. I use the attenuator to get the amp into that "zone" without killing people with the volume and having the bartender or club owner get mad. And it works SO well for that.

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                    X