Dunlop 535Q Wah. Worth the extra $$$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop 535Q Wah. Worth the extra $$$?

Is the 535Q Wah actually worth the extra money? Or is just a normal Dunlop Crybaby a better choice?
    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Re: Dunlop 535Q Wah. Worth the extra $$$?

535Q owns the regular Crybaby so much it's not even on the same planet anymore. A 535Q with the fasel inductor will give you all the sounds you could ever want and total control over your wah sound, also it just sound better than a regual CB without the inductor.
    - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
    - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
    - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
    - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
    - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
    - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
    - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
    - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
    -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

Buy the Fulltone series wah and shy away from the mediocore Dunlop stuff...If you modded wahs and knew and researched like I have about them,you'd understand more about why I Like the fulltone wahs..
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief
        535Q owns the regular Crybaby so much it's not even on the same planet anymore. A 535Q with the fasel inductor will give you all the sounds you could ever want and total control over your wah sound, also it just sound better than a regual CB without the inductor.
        +1. I own the CryBaby From Hell, which is basically the 535Q but with an extra knob for fine-tuning the high end at the toe down position. You can get any wah sound you want by using the six-position frequency center knob and the Q knob. It works for high gain and clean playing really well.

I'm not sure how the Fulltone Clyde wahs stand up to high gain playing, but I think if you have the opportunity to try one, do it, based on John/STRATDELUXER97's advice.

That said, I think you would be really happy with the 535Q (with or even without Fasel). Definitely worth the extra cash, especially if you can snag one on eBay brand new for less than the in-store price.
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I originally tried to buy the 535Q but Guitar Center didn't have any, I ordered one...a month went by, they said it was in, they gave it to me. It didn't work! I took it back, they hooked me up with a Crybaby From Hell. This wah is ****ing awesome. However, I've played a Budha Wah and that thing is pretty badass.

Comment

I had the same dilemma a while back and ended up getting the 535Q. It is a very tweakable wah, which is great for recording. You can dial in a wide variety of sounds with a great degree of precision, and it works well with other instruments, not just electric guitars. I think it is a very good wah, expecially with the new inductor and 9V power compatibility.

That being said I've been considering a Stratdeluxer-modified Vox for stage use ever since I heard about them on this board. I'd still keep the 535Q, but it would be nice to have a simple, classic sounding wah and not tear apart my pedalboard every time I'm recording...

Comment

I've always used stock and modded Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 wah.. and I liked it, but after I tried the 535Q, I realized that the GCB-95 is lacking so much.

If you have the funds and can afford buying the 535Q or the DB-01 (wah from hell), I'd say go for it. I just purchased the DB-01 and waiting for it to arrive.

I really liked how you can adjust things to how you like the sound without having to mod anything.

Good luck!
              www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

535Q is a really sweet wah. It's true bypassed, and I've had mine for two years of regular use and no problems . . . I have the one with the Fasel inductor (don't know if that makes a difference or not)
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i have a 535Q and like it just fine ... i only use it for 2 or 3 songs at most out a a whole night's tunes. so i do not have a very high 'pickiness' about it ... how can i tell if i have a fasel inductor? if i don't, can i buy one and replace the inductor i have? ... if so, what kind of tonal changes would it provide? and how much would it cost?

t4d
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                    i have a 535Q and like it just fine ... i only use it for 2 or 3 songs at most out a a whole night's tunes. so i do not have a very high 'pickiness' about it ... how can i tell if i have a fasel inductor? if i don't, can i buy one and replace the inductor i have? ... if so, what kind of tonal changes would it provide? and how much would it cost?

t4d

I'm guessing you could just pull the bottom off the pedal and actually look . . . the fasel that I have is red and says fasel i think . . . you could also check on the box, my 535Q box said 'fasel inductor' on it.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief
                      A 535Q with the fasel inductor will give you all the sounds you could ever want and total control over your wah sound, also it just sound better than a regual CB without the inductor.

I agree with Loserchief. The Fasel makes all the difference. My 535 has the Fasel, as well as the auto-return. I set the boost for about a 6dB boost and when I step on it it goes on, when I take my foot off it it shuts off. What that does for me is it makes me kick the wah in for little fills between verses that really jump out and then my level is right back down when the vocal comes back in. I tend not to do that with a normal toe switch, because it just feels like too much of a hassle to stomp on a toe switch for two or three notes.

As for the Fulltone, that's a great sounding wah, but dollar for dollar, I don't think the 535 can be beat.
                      Matt Blackett
                      Associate Editor
                      Guitar Player Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Blackett
                        I agree with Loserchief. The Fasel makes all the difference. My 535 has the Fasel, as well as the auto-return. I set the boost for about a 6dB boost and when I step on it it goes on, when I take my foot off it it shuts off. What that does for me is it makes me kick the wah in for little fills between verses that really jump out and then my level is right back down when the vocal comes back in. I tend not to do that with a normal toe switch, because it just feels like too much of a hassle to stomp on a toe switch for two or three notes.

As for the Fulltone, that's a great sounding wah, but dollar for dollar, I don't think the 535 can be beat.
                        I have a 535Q with a Fasel and I'm totally satisfied with it and then some... it's absoutely perfect for what i want, what I need, and the sounds I want to hear.

The tone is very vocal, strong, pronounded, and harmonically rich. You'd have to come up with a pretty badass was to turn me away from this one. I actually prefer it to Fulltones and such!

Comment

I usually use my 535Q over Teese, Fulltone, Morley, etc...

MJ
                          EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

Working...
                          X