yellow jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow jackets

the user olin music told me that he used two yellow jackets and two 6l6s in his mesa heartbreaker. now i'm wondering how these work. which one do i need to buy. is the tube hooked into the yellowjacket. and do i just plug it in? what 6l6 should i use? the stock ones? how do use them?
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Re: yellow jackets

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

so i just put the bias on 6l6, put in two yellowjackets and two 6l6s?

Comment

Originally posted by cream123
        so i just put the bias on 6l6, put in two yellowjackets and two 6l6s?
        I have never mixed yellowjackets with a standard tube...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            I have never mixed yellowjackets with a standard tube...
            I´m not even 100% sure this is a safe thing to do....
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Well, I have used them in a few amps -

My take - they are only useful if they fulfill the tone type the amp needs/lacks such as MORE grease, more of that Class A / EL34 kinda sponge. They give every amp a Vox kinda mojo.

I have talked to THD many times about these. You can use them in almost any amp, just call them and talk to Ed. I believe it only matters if the amp is Cathode biased - then you might need different THD's.

In my Mark IIb, the Yellow jackets worked very well BUT I DID NOT like them. Took away from the very perfect Mesa clean channel.

On my 73 Marshall, it was like a Marshall meets a Vox - a la Budda, but better! However, you have to really listen to the harmonic structure. If the amp isn't getting the gorgeous overtones you seek, it's not for you. If you want it for attenuation and feel, you might love it. I do not use them right now because I record with this amp and I need the REAL plexi tone that JJ's and Ruby's give me when cranked. El84s aren't the same.

Downside? Mixed with EL34's in the Marshall, I felt there was a nice thick compression, but the mids got kinda harsh. It hurt my own ears when playing. I always know an amp isn't right if it actually makes my ears sore. Marshalls have more than enough rude mids without help from YJ's.

In the Heartbreaker, the clean channel has a nice break to it, asnd the YJ's work well with that. The 6L6 gives very typical 6L6 distortion in the Marshall channel, so I felt the YJ's mixed well. In 60w mode, only the outside tubes work so it was like having a 15w class A amp, and when cranked in 100w mode well you got something huge.

They sounded nice and greasy in my Rivera Knucklehead series 1.

Best part - it's a cheap investment to experiment.
              You never know what you will get.
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

did you have the 6l6s on the outside, the el84s on the outside or alternating?
                edit: what are yj's?

Comment

YJ = yellowjacket

I had 2 YJ on the outside and 2 6L6 on the inside. Reason? I could have a 15w amp in the half power 60w mode.

By the way, you can have some real fun swapping recto tubes on Mesas. GZ34's and 5U4Gs are world's apart.
                  1973 Les Paul Standard
                  1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

This is kind of like what the Mesa Blue Angel does in the Simul-link mode:
                    By combining the 2 tubes, you get the smooth, warmth of the 6L6s & that gritty tight aggressiveness of the EL84s. The BA actually uses 6V6s, but you can use 6Ls....

I've wanted a 4 6L6 amp for a while for this reason.

I've tried YJs in a few amps....they work well in some & not so much in others. I guess some circuits are just not meant to be used with EL84s

LOVED them in a Hiwatt

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                      YJ = yellowjacket

I had 2 YJ on the outside and 2 6L6 on the inside. Reason? I could have a 15w amp in the half power 60w mode.

By the way, you can have some real fun swapping recto tubes on Mesas. GZ34's and 5U4Gs are world's apart.
                      can the heartbreaker take the gz34's?
                      edit: what el84's did you use in the yj's? or did you buy the ones with the tubes in them?
                      Last edited by cream123; 05-16-2006, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I got some off ebay. I used them in my Crate Blue Voodoo, and while they worked, I hated the sound. They work really well in some amps, not well in others. I got them with the original tubes and ordered a pair of JJs as well. The JJs sounded better, but still not the sound I wanted. Sold'em. Just wanted to try for an alternate sound as I really liked my BV, but the EL84s didn't like the BV.
                        My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                        or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                        http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                        700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
                        X