Ceriatone vs. Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceriatone vs. Trinity

Well I've finally decided to try and build my first amp from a kit. I've been checking out the offerings from these two companies and just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on one over the other. Does either company have an edge when it comes to instructions? I can solder pretty well but I need some work on reading a schematic. I'm willing to buy a book on electronics and do what it takes to learn as I go. Well, either that or hit up my dad (he's pretty good at electronics) to help out. (Kind of lame a 35 year old would have to ask his dad for help with anything. lol)

I'm thinking of doing a Lightning clone. However, I noticed Ceriatone just put up a DC30 kit. Does anyone know about this one? I'm wondering if it has the half power switch in its design.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Re: Ceriatone vs. Trinity

Ceriatone has better works!

Take a good,close look at the board used to mount components.

Take a look at the aluminum work.

Ceriatone manufactures a broader range of products.
    Last edited by Stratman; 05-17-2006, 03:33 PM.
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Trinity gets his chassis from Ceriatone.

Neither really provide much instruction. It's like following a puzzle when you first start out. You look at the layout and you build it.

On the DC30, I have been helping Nik at Ceriatone beta test his layout and such. I've found a few things that have helped him get it quieter. It's a good layout at this point. I'm very happy with it. It's loud as hell. The transformers are the "secret sauce" to quote Curly. I"m not sure how Ceriatone's transformers are. I do know this is one of the key components on any amp.

I have been using transformers from the same guy that builds them for the "other guys" out in So. Cal. I've got the real mccoy. Westlabs also makes great 30 watt and 15 watt trannies.

Trinity is a class act all the way, as is Ceriatone. Hard to go wrong. Trinity offers GREAT transformers (us-made) at a good price. Trinity is a bit on the expensive side, but his cabinet shop is first rate as well.

Shipping is a bit steep from Ceriatone, but his prices are better.

Whether you build C's or T's Lightning, you can always get help on teh Trinity Forum.

Yes, the C-30 design as a half-power switch.

For your first attempt at amp building, skip the C-30. It's a jungle inside. Stick with the Lightning. You'll thank me later.

Also, and finally, if you need any help, just email or call me. I've built a few of these now and they sound fantastic. Read the reviews on HC for my Franklin amp. They flat out rock!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I appreciate both of the replies.

Scott, I've actually read a ton of your stuff and checked out your Celtic site. I've thought about buying your Franklin but I want to try to get my feet wet in building. I think it would be highly educational. I appreciate your willingness to help me along with this project.

I know the DC30 would be tougher, I own one. lol I would love to have two!

I think I'll go with the Lightning because of your advice. Can you see any problem if I get everything but the tranny and tubes from CT and then get the transformers from Trinity? I also like the Trinity cabs although I could probably build one myself.

How tough would it be to make a 30 watt lightning with the half power switch?

Eric

Comment

If you're going to build the lightning...I would tip my hat towards trinity (and not because I'm a moderator there). Stephen sells real matchless trannies...while Nik @ Ceriatone sells an 18watt tranny for the lightning kits, which has an 8k primary, not the 4k primary which the lightning calls for.

Also, not saying this to take away from Ceriatone....I've dealt with both companies and both are top notch guys who really do right by their customers.

I just think trinity has a few advantages in the iron...

Also, if you're thinking 18watt eventually, trinity just came out with a really good RS clone tranny.

As for help building, there are plenty of guys over at the trinity board who are willing to help, myself included...(I post over there under bitsandvolts).

-Frank

Comment

Originally posted by strangegrey
            If you're going to build the lightning...I would tip my hat towards trinity (and not because I'm a moderator there). Stephen sells real matchless trannies...while Nik @ Ceriatone sells an 18watt tranny for the lightning kits, which has an 8k primary, not the 4k primary which the lightning calls for.

Also, not saying this to take away from Ceriatone....I've dealt with both companies and both are top notch guys who really do right by their customers.

I just think trinity has a few advantages in the iron...

Also, if you're thinking 18watt eventually, trinity just came out with a really good RS clone tranny.

As for help building, there are plenty of guys over at the trinity board who are willing to help, myself included...(I post over there under bitsandvolts).

-Frank
            I was thinking Ceriatone because the eyelet board comes already wired. I also thought I'd buy the tranny from Trinity. Would that work?

Eric
            Last edited by shaka; 05-17-2006, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Okay, if you're going to build an amp from scratch, kit or no kit, you have to wire up the board yourself. That's half the fun. Take your time and do it right.

Trinity won't sell his transformers unless you buy his kit. Trinity's stuff is first rate.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                Okay, if you're going to build an amp from scratch, kit or no kit, you have to wire up the board yourself. That's half the fun. Take your time and do it right.

Trinity won't sell his transformers unless you buy his kit. Trinity's stuff is first rate.
                Well I guess if I'm going to learn to do it I might as well do it all the way. I'm leaning towards the Trinity as I want the authentic tranny.

Comment

It might cost a few bucks more, but it'll be worth it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
                  X