banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played some great amps today. Diezel, Soldano, Bad Cat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Played some great amps today. Diezel, Soldano, Bad Cat.

I cannot remember which one I played, but it was a 15W BadCat combo, and i was throughly unimpressed (especially for over 2K). I had the thing wide open (well almost wide open), and it just sounded like a slightly ballsier Vox to me..still kind of loose with a bit more "oomph" than a typical Vox.... but not Marshall-like at all really. After hearing all the talk about them on the net I was really disappointed. This was a combo though. perhaps the head and cab w/ right speakers would make a big dif.

That said, I just don't dig many El-84 amps period, so take that FWIW.

And I'm in agreeance regarding the Soldano. I'm not a big 6L6 fan, but Soldano (at least the SLO) is a different animal.

Great report Joe....
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I liked the Bad Cat I tried. But, for the price was just not seeing the cost-tone ratio for me.

Comment

If you keep in mind what Matchless and Bad Cat are all about, the Vox on steroids comparison holds pretty true. If you love the AC15 and want a more ruggedized, slightly ballsier version, those companies make it.

Different strokes for different folks. I dig these tones a lot.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I like the Diezels, but they kinda remind me of that focused Boogie tone, not really ready to go to a gig with that and NO Marshalls. I really realized it when I heard Neil Schon playing them. Great amps.

I LOVED THE VHTs, they are as toneful as a Marshall, but they have more. They are HIGH GAIN AND BROWN at the same time. I can't say enough good about them as High Gain amps. I only liked the Bogner XTC Classic more.

As far as the Soldanos, the jury is out, for me personally, but we all now they are amazing amps!
          1973 Les Paul Standard
          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

One thing about the Bad Cat is there's a few 15W models, and some are voiced more like an AC-15. This one that I tried was the Hot Cat version, so it was designed for gain. I agree with some of the posts about it being too expensive for what it offers. Single channel amps have to be something that's exactly YOUR tone, or else they simply aren't worth that kind of money. The channel switchers are versatile enough to justify big money.......although these prices are starting to get ridiculous.....used CAR prices!
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

great info Joneser, way to go!

Comment

nice info! How does 5150 fit in :P
                PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
                DAW: Nuendo
                Noise: 5150
                Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Originally posted by Kev
                  nice info! How does 5150 fit in :P
                  5150's are pretty nice amps. The first year they came out, in the early 90's, I bought a brand new one, just because they were one of the few affordable amps that could do it all.

What separates amps like Bogners and Diezels from the 5150, is that their gain channels sound wider and and richer. The 5150 has a great clean/pushed clean channel, but when you go to the gain channel, the tone thins out a little.
                  The 5150 will also have more operating hiss when you stop playing. The superior design and components of the Bogners and Diezels allow it to be almost dead silent when you stop playing, even with the gain pretty high. They're also more versatile in their EQ. Still, 5150's are a worthy amp to own, especially since you can find them used for $600. At least Peavey was smart enough to use a big output transformer.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                  X