KT77
    E34L
    6CA7 Big Bottle
    Tesla EL34

Tesla 12AX7 pre's
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Time to RE-TUBE - PLEASE ADVISE

I think some tubes like E-34L's and KT-77 might work best in 50W amps, since they can always use headroom. But a 100W amp doesn't need it, and a complex amp like a 6100 might operate cooler with regular EL-34's.

I'd probably just use JJ EL-34's since they sound great and are cheap, then spend more on good 12AX7's. I really like the GT12AX7C's for an amp like that. Chinese 9th Generation Shuguang 12AX7's are high output, tight, and focused with gain, and that's why Bogner designed their preamp around those tubes. Sometimes, I'll try other high quality tubes, and they rarely out perform the 12AX7C's. If you want to spend more, the Tungsols are great too, but not nessessarily better.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Re: Time to RE-TUBE - PLEASE ADVISE

I'd recommend the Winged C/S.E.D. EL 34s. A couple of the JJ EL34 rattled like crazy in one of my Mesa Mark III combos, though mechanical noise is probably more of an issue in a combo than a head. I've been really happy with the Winged C/S.E.D. EL 34s.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
      X