Tubescreamer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubescreamer question

whats the difference between an Ibanez TS9 and the TS9dx?
    Gibson Les Paul Studio [DD(b), PG(n)]

VHT Deliverance 60
    Splawn 4x12

Xssive built Monroe Drive
    Vox Time Machine Delay
    Boss Noise Supressor

Re: Tubescreamer question

Originally posted by Destroying Angel
    whats the difference between an Ibanez TS9 and the TS9dx?
    The DX has 3 extra modes....A variance in the modes between lowend character and different gain stages via different diode setups..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The Ts9DX has an additional knob along with the old Drive, Tone, and Level knobs. The new knob is a 4 position MODE switch. The TS9DX has the EXACT same circuit as the original TS-9, but the mode switch changes some of the parameters of certain components of the original circuit.

I've always preferred the Ts9 over the TS9 DX. The TS9 IMHO is warmer and sounds more "vintage".
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
        The Ts9DX has an additional knob along with the old Drive, Tone, and Level knobs. The new knob is a 4 position MODE switch. The TS9DX has the EXACT same circuit as the original TS-9, but the mode switch changes some of the parameters of certain components of the original circuit.

I've always preferred the Ts9 over the TS9 DX. The TS9 IMHO is warmer and sounds more "vintage".
        The modded TS9DX smokes even the modded TS9 in that it has alot more overall tonal versatility with the mode switch...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

John, I played a TS9DX that you modded for B Bent a week or 2 back and I must say...that thing is a beast!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            John, I played a TS9DX that you modded for B Bent a week or 2 back and I must say...that thing is a beast!
            I Like that pedal and for just one great pedal after the mods,I still prefer the Sparkle Drive version of the Tube Screamer..

Comment

I only tried a Sparkle Drive once and for only a few minutes...truth be told I have never gotten along with TS style pedals
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I only tried a Sparkle Drive once and for only a few minutes...truth be told I have never gotten along with TS style pedals
                I agree.....The 2 things I hated(and most everyone else)is the mid spike and the bigtime loss in the lows when you engage it...These problems are taken care of via the mods and then some...I have an 808 and a TS5 on my board set to do different tones....I have to have at least 1 TS on my board though and I cover alot of ground,especially blues stuff with mine...

It's not for everyone though and that's for sure...

Comment

Im not sure if it's the mid spike, the bass cut off, the fact that you can still hear the clean guitar under the note or the lack of punch some of them have...maybe a combo of a lot of these things. I have an SD-1 that I find simply OK...not even great, in fact i rarely use it. I also have a reissue TS-9 that I never even plug in...it currently has a broken switch and I could care less...thats how often I use it!

Comment

Im not sure if it's the mid spike, the bass cut off, the fact that you can still hear the clean guitar under the note or the lack of punch some of them have...maybe a combo of a lot of these things. I have an SD-1 that I find simply OK...not even great, in fact i rarely use it. I also have a reissue TS-9 that I never even plug in...it currently has a broken switch and I could care less...thats how often I use it!

I much prefer a TS over the SD1 in every single case! I have a modded SD1 that resides in a box in my closet that I should sell cause I never use it...

Most guys like the SD1,but I only like the SD1 if I mod it to sound like a TS...

Comment

Sometimes a TS9 is just what you need - not too much, not too little. Everyone should have one. I often think I should have gotten the DX though...And I do want a Sparkle drive one of these days. This post has lots of class!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A Strat into a BF FEnder amp with a TS in themiddle is a killer and classic tone but for me when I try and use a TS I just end up hating it...maybe if I were to get a few mods done to mine i'd like it better.

Comment

Where does the TS808 fit in here?

Which was the original ?

John....TGWIF.....TS-101 class

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                            Where does the TS808 fit in here?
                            Which was the original ?
                            John....TGWIF.....TS-101 class
                            The 808 was before the TS-9.

You have just opened a fairly large can of worms...

Check out this page...lots of GREAT info on Tubescreamers.

Comment

A Strat into a BF FEnder amp with a TS in themiddle is a killer and classic tone
                              I ran that Sweet Cheetah thru the Pro last night............WHOAH

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                              X