banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MODERN RACK setup - good or bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MODERN RACK setup - good or bad thing?

Everyone here is mostly a tube head junkie. Esp vintage-y sounds.

In the 90s, racks sucked if you ask me. But now they can be pretty amazing.

anyone use a rack system? TC Electronics? Mesa TriAxis? Rackmount heads? Bradhsaw systems? Bogner Fish pre? Soldano Caswell?

What did you think?
    Do racks look "dates"?
    Do you feel they are versatile?
    Is the tone comparable to a great tube head?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: The MODERN RACK setup - good or bad thing?

I still use a Kasha Rockmod preamp for some sessions. Now with my Atomic amps, it gives me a smaller portable unit to run it through rather than bring a whole rack setup, which I don't have anymore due to downsizing.
    Institute Of Noise Music Productions
    http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
    Bogner Amplification
    http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

The most impressive rack setup that I've seen belongs to TattooedCarrot.
      John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

I do..
        in my 6 space rack i gots:
        boss gt-pro (guitar preamp/effects)
        furman power conditioner
        echoplex digital pro looping device
        roland xv-5050 synth (triggered by guitar)
        boss vf-1 (piezo signal of guitar)
        roland gi-10 midi interface.

these signals get mixed with a mackie 1202vlz mixer.

this is controlled by a behringer fcb1010 midi pedal, and a few boss fs-5u unlatching pedals.

I don't care how it 'looks', btw. And I like tube amps, I just can't use one with this setup without bringing out a lot more gear and it would color the sound too much, so this works for me. i am not particularly trying to get tube amp sounds though- in fact i am looking for pretty weird ones, i guess. some of it sounds nothing like a guitar. but for guitar sounds, yes, i have cloned a few tube amps' sounds after a lot of recording and tweaking, so it works just fine for me.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

people with huge rackmount rigs creep me out

dunno why
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Im not one for rack amp rigs, Im using a TC GSystem now though, and just loving it, very versatile, very controllable, im a big advocate of them,
            Ty
            Guitars:
            G&L Legacy Special
            Amps:
            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
            Effects:
            Keeley Compressor, FulltoneFulldrive II, TC Electronics Nova Delay

Comment

Well, they couldn't have sucked in the 90's, because everything you mentioned came out in the early 90's! LOL

I went through a bit of rack-itis in the early 90's, and came to the conclusion that a having 100 midi mapped channels wasn't worth breaking my back, lifting a 200 lb rack and 2 cabs. Then, I stripped it down to a 8 space SKB, pre, power, 1 FX unit, and a power strip. Then, I realized it didn't even sound as full and immediate as a simple head. The signal just loses all it's dynamic range and harmonic content, running through all that spaghetti. I ended up going to single channel amps for tone, for 7 years. And finally, I realized I needed some of the versatility of racks, but still wanted a head that sounded as good as the single channel amps......enter the Ecstasy.

How's that for inducing more GAS on you!!! LOL
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Well, they couldn't have sucked in the 90's, because everything you mentioned came out in the early 90's! LOL

I went through a bit of rack-itis in the early 90's, and came to the conclusion that a having 100 midi mapped channels wasn't worth breaking my back, lifting a 200 lb rack and 2 cabs. Then, I stripped it down to a 8 space SKB, pre, power, 1 FX unit, and a power strip. Then, I realized it didn't even sound as full and immediate as a simple head. The signal just loses all it's dynamic range and harmonic content, running through all that spaghetti. I ended up going to single channel amps for tone, for 7 years. And finally, I realized I needed some of the versatility of racks, but still wanted a head that sounded as good as the single channel amps......enter the Ecstasy.

How's that for inducing more GAS on you!!! LOL
                That would be me as well. I had a tri axis in a skb rack with power strip and multi effects processer all midi setup with all kinds of presets in stereo running between 2 cabs. The stereo cleans were very cool but I still like the percusive response I get out of a 50 watt head for distortion. I miss the stereo effects and the presets but I found the more simple the setup the more I like the tone. Its a tradeoff honestly.

Comment

Amplified racks are good on girls.

[ LP Standard G0 ][ SG Standard R2 ]

Comment

Technology has moved on such that amps are much more versatile now. 2,3 and 4 channel heads/combos are the norm and some (Laney, Engl, Hughes & Kettner, Diezel etc) are fully midi controllable. The only advantage I see these days (unless your a pro musician with roadies!!), is that a rack is pre wired ready to go.
                    GUITARS
                    STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                    AMPS
                    Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

I ran a

VHT 2/50/2
                      VHT GP-3
                      A handful of pedals (I don't care for effects units, in general)
                      Marshall 1965A 4x10
                      Marshall 1966A 2x12

Very versatile & massive tube amp sound.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by 3th3r
                        Amplified racks are good on girls.
                        GOLD!
                        My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocker35
                          Technology has moved on such that amps are much more versatile now. 2,3 and 4 channel heads/combos are the norm and some (Laney, Engl, Hughes & Kettner, Diezel etc) are fully midi controllable. The only advantage I see these days (unless your a pro musician with roadies!!), is that a rack is pre wired ready to go.
                          Pre wired and ready to go is something a rack definitely isnīt... At least not until itīs "finished"

Itīs all about flexibility / tonal pallette.... if like me you run a dry, bass heavy, all aouund powerful signal on one side and a clearer more cutting signal on teh other side with light effects, then youīre either carrying 2 heads, 2 effects processors and 2 speakers, or one rack and 2 speakers

In my case, using a rack is necessary because I donīt have roadies but refuse to compromise on tone by leaving half my rig at home....

I went from a huge rack to a single head with 0 effects now back to a 10 space rack.... my racked tone and my head sound nearly identical...
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Some of the best tones I've heard live came from a mesa triaxis --> g force --> mesa power amp setup. If I had to start from scratch, I'd probably save up for that. I have never been a fan of mesa until I heard that.

I guess it just doesn't feel as natural as having a real amp in front of you that you can tweak as you go... but I guess you'd get used to it and I'd say the versitility is worth it.

Comment

At the moment, I have an eight space rack loaded with:

Furman
                              Korg DRT-1
                              Lexicon MPX 500
                              Mesa/Boogie Mark IV rackmount head

My pedalboard consists of:
                              Mark IV controller
                              ADA 4x4 (four button midi footswitch)
                              Morley Bad Horsie
                              Boss OC-2

It's not the huge rack rig I ran in the mid 90s, but it is very effective. My reasons for a rack are simple. I wanted professional "in the loop" effects, without having to run 40 feet of cable from my pedalboard. I have yet to find a chorus, delay or reverb pedal that touches my Lexicon. I keep it racked up for simplicity. I only have to run four chords from my pedal board. Everything in the rack stays put. By using the Mark IV, I still have a dedicated amp. I'm just running it all through the FX loop. If I want it completely dry, I just shut the loop off.
                              2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                              2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                              2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Working...
                              X