Some "Tweed" questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some "Tweed" questions.

The only thing I know about "tweed" is what resides in my J-Station. Its become my favorite preset. But one oddity that I've noticed is that while the factory preset is great, if I roll the gain up or down, it gets nasty. Rolling gain down makes the tweed setting weak and uninspiring. Roll it up and it gets harsh and nasty.

I wonder how much this mimicks "true" tweed amp characteristics. For those of you who have "tweeds", can you adjust different levels of tweediness? Or do you find one sweet spot? How would you define the "tweed" sound?

Artie

Re: Some "Tweed" questions.

The real deal doesn't do that although sometimes you will get a certain blatt out of the smaller Jensen alnicos (10R, 12R) when you hit them hard. The sweet spot depends on what you want---cleans are best with the tones rolled down, old school blues grind with the volume up but tones not maxed out (or vice versa for a different tone, more BB King vs Willie Johnson). For max dirt, you can jumper the channels on most models and it gets very interesting...but it doesn't go into nasty brittle square wave. The smaller ones (Champs, etc) will get a very distorted tone, but it compresses and rolls off the edge.

'Tweediness' seems to have to do with a certain mid-emphasis that produces a thick, woody tone but still retains a lot of clarity. The highs are certainly different than most amp designs; never ice-picky or overly bright (late 5F6A Bassman with P10Q's excepted) but still plenty of detail if you want it. The light construction of the amp and the alnico speakers give the whole thing a resonance like an instrument. FWIW, I've never heard a convincing sample of a distorted tweed amp; it has a lot to do with the speakers and cab.

Comment

Hook up with B Bent and play his new Tweed. You'll hear it first hand what we all talk about with the tone. You often hear it described as a bit ragged with a hollow natural reverb quality to it. Tweeds kick butt, no doubt.

Or, go to a local shop and play one. That Jstation certainly isn't doing the real deal justice.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks ES350 and Scott. Good info. If I go to a shop and play one, what exactly should I play. I was under the impression that true tweeds aren't made anymore. Is there a modern equivalent?

Hot Rod blues?

Comment

the '59 bassman is pretty tweedy

every spot on that amp is a sweet spot
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Bassman Reissue

To me, a Tweed has a raunchy, aggressive distortion. The cleans are chimmy. I see them not as smooth as your typical Blackface sound. Blackface overdrive less easily but have a smoother type of distortion I feel.

Art, if you're into DIY stuff, I highly suggest that you hunt out parts for a DIY princeton or Champ. Something easy to build, not too expensive, and with Tweed like tone. Obviously nowadays, it won't be 100% there, but it may be 90%. If you're interested you can always PM me, I have schematics, though of course Scott_F is way better placed than me and I can't claim to know nearly as much (I'm learning though...)

Comment

Feel free to PM me for my phone number. i would be glad to uload my little bit of Tweed knowledge!!
              I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                Art, if you're into DIY stuff, I highly suggest that you hunt out parts for a DIY princeton or Champ. Something easy to build, not too expensive, and with Tweed like tone. Obviously nowadays, it won't be 100% there, but it may be 90%. If you're interested you can always PM me, I have schematics, though of course Scott_F is way better placed than me and I can't claim to know nearly as much (I'm learning though...)
                Cool. Thanks Pierre. If I spring for a Tweed, it'll probably be from Lew's bro Bruce, at MissionAmps.

Originally posted by B Bent
                Feel free to PM me for my phone number. i would be glad to uload my little bit of Tweed knowledge!!
                Ok . . . (editted since everyone may not get my sense of humor.)

Artie
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Now after the demo I just gave you 1. You have to come up and visit!! and 2. you must buy a Tweed!! LOL!! Great talking to ya Artie!
                  I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
                    Now after the demo I just gave you 1. You have to come up and visit!! and 2. you must buy a Tweed!! LOL!! Great talking to ya Artie!
                    Back atcha. Even over the phone . . . the amp sounded killer.

Put some beer on ice. I'm on my way.

Comment

Artie. Plan to come to the SE Jam in August. I know for a fact that there will be a '57 Twin RI there.......mine And possibly a real live Vibrolux (or two if B Bent shows his mug) for comparison.
                      '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                      '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                      '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                      '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                      '01 Firebird V
                      '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                      '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                      '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                      '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                      '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                      '04 Martin HD28V
                      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                      Marshall 1987x RI
                      Soultone 18w
                      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

If you can, go to your nearest Guitar Center and play the '59 Tweed Bassman LTD and the '57 Tweed Twin. They should have both of them on the showfloor. I got into a bit of trouble with the guys there because I cranked them both a bit, but it was worth it for the 30 seconds of Tweed tone I got out of each of them!

Like everyone said, have a certain resonance to them, and arent harsh or brittle, kind of crunchy, have a very middy Marshall-like distortion to it, and great cleans. Great amps!
                        The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
                        And Here on Bandcamp!
                        Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Tweeds all have alot of the same character but then again each one has a signature voice. I happen to favor tweeds for their overdrive tones so I tend to go for the lower wattage tweeds...that said they are all very cool amps!
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

You are correct, Christian. Even the Twin is not stupid loud like a Twin or Super Reverb even at full volume and it do distort like a mutha
                            '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                            '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                            '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                            '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                            '01 Firebird V
                            '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                            '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                            '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                            '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                            '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                            '04 Martin HD28V
                            '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                            Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                            Marshall 1987x RI
                            Soultone 18w
                            Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                              Bassman Reissue

To me, a Tweed has a raunchy, aggressive distortion. The cleans are chimmy. I see them not as smooth as your typical Blackface sound. Blackface overdrive less easily but have a smoother type of distortion I feel.
                              This sounds like a great description of my Tweed Deluxe head (clone).

Comment

Working...
                              X