Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats the best marshall combo?

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    I buy stuff that alot of the vintage guys wouldn't even give a NY minute of a thought about it....I buy stuff because it sounds good and it works within the context of my tonal needs and style...

I've played through and have worked on and tweaked "several" of the JCM 800 series amps over a period of years....Alot of guys bash the side by side 800s because of the board mounted pots,but tonally I'm not buying into the side by sides being inferior to the verticals tonally...I had a vertical 1983 4104 combo 800 that I sold for a much better sounding 1987(73) 50 watt head,as I felt the 800 was a one trick pony that only had the goods cranked up....

As you say Jeff....There are really great sounding guitars and amps for a given period and just as many that don't quite have that special something...I still find that things like tubes,the right component types or values,and things like transformers(Things we can quickly change)probably make the most differences...This excludes any mods or things that enhance the amp...
    Agreed. I'd really like to hear from Jeff Seal...although I know what he is going to say. He is a HUGE fan of the dual channel Marshall's. Anyone who hasn't heard my 800 that he modded is missing out.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
      Agreed. I'd really like to hear from Jeff Seal...although I know what he is going to say. He is a HUGE fan of the dual channel Marshall's. Anyone who hasn't heard my 800 that he modded is missing out.
      Jeff.....Would tell us that there's good and bad in each of the specifics in the series,but he'd probably prefer the vertical input 800s....That's my guess?

I prefer the vertical inputs,but mainly because that's the 1 I Owned and I Like the hardwired pots...I'm not talking about tonality though.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
        You're right about that...because Theodie has a JCM900 head that I thought sounded better than his Slash/Jubilee head. Each amp has it's own merits, and people are foolish not to at least TRY something, just because it says 900, or because it's an 800 side by side input.

OTOH, I guess that's good in a way...because it leaves some killer amps out there for us open minded people to get at a good price!
        Dave's not the only one. I own one of those 2100's as well. If it ever got taken from me I'd cry. It's my tone. I can get nice mellow tones and flat out pound your head against the wall with it. It takes pedals well and each of my guitars sound incredible through it. I love the reaction I get from it from others...."That's a 900?" A hidden gem in the long Marshall line.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
          Dave's not the only one. I own one of those 2100's as well. If it ever got taken from me I'd cry. It's my tone. I can get nice mellow tones and flat out pound your head against the wall with it. It takes pedals well and each of my guitars sound incredible through it. I love the reaction I get from it from others...."That's a 900?" A hidden gem in the long Marshall line.
          Yep....Some of the 900 series amps are cool and others are just horrible sounding to me!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            Jeff.....Would tell us that there's good and bad in each of the specifics in the series,but he'd probably prefer the vertical input 800s....That's my guess?

I prefer the vertical inputs,but mainly because that's the 1 I Owned and I Like the hardwired pots...I'm not talking about tonality though.
            Nope...because all of the dual channel amps (as far as I'm aware, are single input amps). I've never asked him if he prefers vertical over horizontal, because he loves dual channel so much. Besides, when he converts a JCM 800, he rips the circuit board out and converts everything to point to point.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

The JTM 30 and JTM 60 are good sounding too. Although I've read that the reliability sucks, I've been lucky with my JTM 30 as I've had no problems.

Weren't most (all?) 800's in the US ran on 6550 power tubes? The other guitarist in my band at the time had 6550. It had monster headroom. Didn't sound all that great until he had it modded for more gain. I've never heard an EL34 equipped 800 but I would imagine it sounds totally different.
              Last edited by myxolidian; 05-24-2006, 03:37 PM.
              My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by myxolidian
                The JTM 30 and JTM 60 are good sounding too. Although I've read that the reliability sucks, I've been lucky with my JTM 30 as I've had no problems.

Weren't most (all?) 800's in the US ran on 6550 power tubes? The other guitarist in my band at the time had 6550. It had monster headroom. Didn't sound all that great until he had it modded for more gain. I've never heard an EL34 equipped 800 but I would imagine it sounds totally different.
                Yep.....Lots of US bound 800s had the 6550 tubes...The EL 34s are the Marshall sound...

Comment

Working...
                X