Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting good cleans at low volume

hello everybody

I used to frequent these boards alot, however, i sort of stopped playing guitar for a while. I've been meddling some recently, and i finally got out my good gear (i haven't been able to use it at school) and really played today.

The questin is this: is there a trick to getting some good bassiness to my bassman when playing clean?? I love the crunchiness it gives me, but i realized this today:

I was playing on the vibrochamp, turned up to maybe 7 or 8, and was doing some real nice clean work, and i noticed how rich the bass was, how i could feel it, and it suprised me coming from that small amp.

Well then i went upstairs and plugged into my bassman.... and i'm hardly getting any of that full warm bass. Even if i crank the bass knob. When i turn up to get the crunch going, i can feel it vibrating in the hallway though (i sit out there to protect my ears a little better).

Now, i have a 12AX7 in the phase inverter spot, rather than the specified 12AT7. Its been in there since i've owned it. If i were to switch it to the lower gain 12AT7, would that allow the amp to 'open up' more while still being clean, and give me fuller bass?? And if i did that would i sacrifice my great crunchiness??

Thanks, all suggestions welcome
    '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
    Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
    '66 Fender Bassman
    Fender Champion 600
    Fender Stage 100

Re: Getting good cleans at low volume

i think they crunch better with 12ax7's, some prefer with a 12at7, but with a 12at7 it'll break up later

what kinda bassman is it? what cab/speakers?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

all original 1966 blackface bassman halfstack with the original Jensen C12Ns
      '66 Fender Bassman
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Stage 100

Comment

Yo! Bro, welcome back!

(I don't have an answer to your question, but I wanted to extend the welcome!)
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

haha, thanks man
          '66 Fender Bassman
          Fender Champion 600
          Fender Stage 100

Comment

Working...
          X