banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

holy smokes, what's wrong with my amp??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holy smokes, what's wrong with my amp??!!

so i'm sitting there, wailing away, through my fender pro reverb. the power was switched to 1/4th, as usual...the reverb was on, as usual...then out of the blue..a random and intermittent buzzing started to occur. it's the kind of buzzing you hear when you unplug the cable and touch it to the metal around the guitar plug in.

so.......i turned off the reverb and the noise went away. it came back after i turned the reverb back on. then i turned the reverb off again and looked at the power tubes as if i'd know wtf the problem was. so, then i switched it to full power and tried it again with reverb....no problem.

dudes, what is going on with this amp. it's brand new with maybe 100 hours of playing time on it, from me at least. maybe the tubes are old? maybe this amp was well used on the floor of the guitar shop? tell me what you figure is wrong please.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by esandes; 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM.

Re: holy smokes, what's wrong with my amp??!!

maybe the reverb driver tube is goin out?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I have a few idea's, But I wouldn't take a shot in the dark with a amp that Warrantied. Get it to your local authorized fender repair shop and let them look at it. I know it sux to be without your amp for a few weeks, But it sounds like something more than just a simple problem. Normally when the verb malfunctions 1st place to look is the driver tube. But you say the problem went away when switched to full power?? So you have some kind of Intermittent problem? Tube's (in general) don't function intimately
      unless the socket is loose or corroded. That would be unusually in a new amp.
      Last edited by kmcguitars; 05-28-2006, 10:50 PM.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
        maybe the reverb driver tube is goin out?
        i figure it is.

Originally posted by kmcguitars
        Normally when the verb malfunctions 1st place to look is the driver tube. But you say the problem went away when switched to full power?? So you have some kind of Intermittent problem?
        i really hope it's just old tubes. is the reverb tube prone to wear out quicker than the other tubes? this problem has never occured before. i just described the noise as random and intermittent. and it only seemed to occur when the reverb was on. i pretty much always played at 1/4 power. so i figured i'd try it at full power...no problems yet. this just happened today.

Comment

Trying replacing the reverb tube first and try it on both power settings, if the problem is still there I would just take the amp to a tech to check out.
          Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
          Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
          Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
          Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
          Fender Frontman 15g
          Cry Baby
          Boss DS-2
          Boss CE-3
          Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
            Trying replacing the reverb tube first and try it on both power settings, if the problem is still there I would just take the amp to a tech to check out.
            which one is the reverb tube? the thing has 10 tubes.

Comment

This link should be helpful.

www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
              www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                thank you sir. sounds like the amp stresses that tube more than any other pre-amp tube.

Comment

just a warning...if you do change the tube and then later take it to a shop, remember to put the old tube back in and don't mention changing the tubes. On tube guitar amps, changin the tubes yourself and putting a non-Fender (or whatever amp you have) labeled tube in there will void the Warranty. Just a warning.
                  Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                  It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

The reason you buy new is to get the warranty. Use it. It sounds like a bad reverb cable I had one time, but in my case it was a really old amp. Tubes are easy to change. There is a reason for that in that they are a truly disposible item. They go out. It's the first place to start with most any tube amp trouble.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                    X