other el34s + 12ax7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other el34s + 12ax7s

alright so now i'm looking at el34s due to my last kt77 post.

now all i've seen are jj's. i KNOW that there is more out there. what el34s give a medium-fast breakup. have high end and mids mostly but also a little bass. i don't want extremely smooth. i want classic el34 crunch! i'm playing through a boogie nomad

as for the 12ax7's i want a mid gain that can do distortion but can also do the whole "clean thing" as well.

if you think jj's would do the trick then by all means reccomend them.

give me brand, tube, and where i can find them!
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Re: other el34s + 12ax7s

For classic rock I would suggest the SED winged C's from http://www.dougstubes.com , these tubes are from the same factory that originally made the svetlanas. The current svetlanas are from new sensor corp. and are made in a the sovtek factory if I remember correctly. So basically the trademark name was stolen so a new name needed to be made the "winged C's". For 12ax7's I think the tung sols should work, I are great for any amount of gain or clean.
    Last edited by greendy123; 06-04-2006, 07:16 AM.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

intruiging.....

edit: the tung sol 12ax7a reissue?
      and the SED el34?

edit2: so that would run me about 140, right?
      Last edited by cream123; 06-04-2006, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
        For classic rock I would suggest the SED winged C's from http://www.dougstubes.com , these tubes are from the same factory that originally made the svetlanas. The current svetlanas are from new sensor corp. and are made in a the sovtek factory if I remember correctly. So basically the trademark name was stolen so a new name needed to be made the "winged C's". For 12ax7's I think the tung sols should work, I are great for any amount of gain or clean.
        These are great recommendations...for the EL34's...Groove Tubes are OK, Svetlana's, Mullard will also perform good. For the pre-tubes...GT12AX7M, Tungsol's, Sovteks, JJ's... all are decent tubes

Comment

the thing i like about the tung sol is that it apparently sounds good and won't break the bank.

i just can't seem to justify $130 for a set of power tubes. as a 14 year old i'd rather save that for some sort of guitar later in life.....

Comment

For EL34's my fav set is hands down a set of NOS Mullard which is what I use but those will run you $325 or so for a matched pair and over $650 for a matched quad...for current production EL34's I like the Mullard reissue's from New Sensor, I like the Winged C and actually the Electro Harmonix are not bad either.

For preamp tubes I, again love good NOS tubes but they cost a lot of cash...for current production tubes I like the Electro Harmonix 12AX7, I like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, the new reissue Tung-Sol is great...in fact every single person I have told to try the reissue Tung-So's did and loved them!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i think i might get those wing c's and the tung sols bsed on the reccomendations.

before i start saving up what kind of music in my nomad 100 head would this combo be good for?

i'm assuming brit rock and classic rock. will it do indie rock? i.e. modest mouse cleans and dist.?

Comment

You'll be fine...and those are some great tubes!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                  You'll be fine...and those are some great tubes!
                  I need to add the GT EL34L-S to your list buddy and now the 12AX7M GT preamp tubes...Great Marshall combination I'm happy with!

The Tung Sol reissue 12AX7s I Like,but moreso in my BF Fender amps because they're smoother and not as powerful or gainey as the 12AX7M tube.

After that...The Golden Dragon 12AX7 or NOS RCAs..Like yourself,I always opt first for NOS,but they aren't in reach for alot of us!
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I like NOS stuff but due to the prices these days I have recently been looking into good current production tubes.

As for the GT stuff the 12AX7M is pretty high dollar for a current production tube and due to all the one that have crapped out I have been scared away from them...to be honest I don't care for most GT tubes but I have not tried them all...

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                      Yo! I love my SEDs!

I use GT12AX7-Cs...they work for me. I like them better than JJ's. Seem more lively.

Comment

Working...
                      X