Woohoo! New Toys (Mesa Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woohoo! New Toys (Mesa Content)

DC stands for, "Dual Caliber". These amps followed the .22 and .50 Caliber amps. The DC-2 is the updated version of the Studio .22 Caliber, and features two EL-84s. The DC-3 had a Vintage 30 speaker, 4-EL84s, and has Mesa's assignable 5-band EQ--making a VERY versatile amp. (I love playing mine around Peavey Classic 30 owners, and watching them cry! LOL!)

The big boys in this line were the DC-5, in a wide-body 112 cab with a Mesa/Celestion C90 featuring a 2X6L6 power section; and the DC-10 in a 212 C90 cab with a 4X6L6 power amp.

All of these amps were also available in head-only versions.

The clean channels in the DC Series were taken from the Mark IV amps, and the Lead Channels have a Rectifier heritage. Unlike many competitor's amps, the DCs have separate and complete tone controls for each channel. The Graphic adds tremendous tone shaping capability, and is assignable to Auto Lead, or footswitchable.

A DC-3 may appear to be similar to the Maverick 112, yet there are important differences in design of the power amps, and the preamps. The DC-3 has more gain in the Lead Channel, and the Graphic EQ--with a "Dyna-Watt" power amp that feels like it has way more power than just 35 watts. Without the high-gain Lead Channel of the DC-3, the Maverick was intended more for "roots" rock, and its 4XEL84s operate in Class A. It uses a tube rectifier for a spongier vintage feel, or you can use the diodes. I have both a DC-3 112 combo, and a Maverick--in the 212 version. I love them both, but they are very different.

These amps are great to compare to each other, as you can easily hear the differences in the power sections, and hear the power tubes working hard in the smaller amps. The DC-3 and DC-5 in particular are highly-prized by those who own them--many consider these some of the finest amps ever made for club cover-bands, due to their ample power ratings and incredible tonal versatility. I've used my DC-3 stacked on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Theile cab--alongside player's using Marshall half-stacks--and often, I'm the one who's asked to turn down. Those little Theile cabs really add a lot of projection and thump to a modest 112 combo.

DC-10s pack a LOT of punch into a 212, and they can shake the heck out of a set of tubes in short order. We are talking LOUD, PROFESSIONAL Grade amps here--so they are definitely capable of making you stone deaf and turning your internal organs into pulp. With that much power in a small package, they can be somewhat unrealiable--but it is usually due to tube problems, or--you've got an amp that somebody really abused. The head version of this amp with a Recto 412 is actually my favorite Rectifier, and it really isn't a Rectifier. In the combo version, it's the amp the Fender "Evil Twin" WISHES it could be--the "EVIL Twin" is comparatively just an ill-mannered brat, compared to the tones you can crank out of the DC-10.

Eventually, Mesa replaced the DC Series with the Nomad Series. These amps have even more gain than the DC Calibers, and a third Crunch channel. While the Mark IV remained, the Nomads are part Mark, part Caliber, part Recto. The F-Series came into the line with a freshly designed preamp, and replaced the Calibers as Mesa's "budget" line. Though not as expensive as Mesa's other amps, the F-Series amps create some beautiful tones, too.

The DC-2 is great little find at a very good price. Keep good tubes in it, and it will serve you well.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

wow..a wealth of information! thank you!
      Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
      It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Nice score bro! The local shop around here just got one in this week and I was tinkering w/ it! Killer little amps. The only thing I'd do is slap some new tubes in it! You got a steal to! This shop is asking $490 for theirs.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Yea thanks Bill, good info to know. I played a mesa F-30 and F-50 in a GC the other day, both had great clean channels. Super clean, and the bright switch really gives strats some.. i dunno.. stuff! Couldnt turn the other channel up loud enough but didnt seem my style (although it could be the fact that my head was a foot infront of the speaker.. haha).
          Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
          Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
          Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
          Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
          Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

yeah, I'm pretty proud of the deal I got on it...just can't wait to get her home
            Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
            It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Working...
            X