Question about Marshall 1936 2x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Marshall 1936 2x12 cab

It just has to sound good with that speaker mix. I love the way the t75 and k100 go with the v30.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
      It's probably MDF but if you pull a handle, you should be able to look at the exposed wood in the handle cutout. If it looks like multiple pieces of thin wood stacked together, it's ply. Otherwise, it's either MDF or particle board. Not likely to be particle board but I guess it could be. Particle board will look like small granules of wood glued and pressed together (I think it's actually extruded). And it usually has a really smooth skin on the outside. MDF will look more like paper pulp or sawdust glued and pressed together. The front and back also, usually, looks similiar to the ends. At any rate, that will tell you about what the sides are made of. Removing the handle should be enough to take a look inside with a flashlight and figure out what the rest is made of just by looking. Pull the back if you want a better look. It's a bit tougher if it's been painted but the surface of both MDF and Particleboard is usually more uniform than Plywood. You wont see color differences or any wood grain because there isnt any wood grain. Do a google search for MDF, Plywood, particle board etc. Clink on the images link. Should pull up plenty of photos.

All that said, if you like the cabinet, don't worry so much about what it's made of. Just enjoy it.
      Thanks for the comprehensive answer

I'll dig in and see but like you said, why bother since it does sound good and I've been without a good quality cab for a long time now... its supposed to be made in England but I do not recall seeing that emblazoned on the rear jack end... far as I'm aware, the JCM range is British made. As for weight, it's not super heavy but it isn't what I'd call light either. Pretty solid cab I must say. I don't fear stacking another cab on top if I had to.

It's just that the Internet has made me worry if its MDF then I'm supposed to hate it, sell it now and make sure I get the Orange 18mm birch ply I've always wanted but shy-ed away due to price... I'll get that Orange eventually. Marshall is Marshall, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        It just has to sound good with that speaker mix. I love the way the t75 and k100 go with the v30.
        And it does I just need to drive more wattage thru it to get the best tone which I seldom do at home - the heads (Orange #4 and Marshall 6100LM) thru this cab are crazy loud if let loose. The Marshall has actually been re-biased to 50w to get more power tube saturation at lower volumes.

Comment

If you like the sound, why care what the "internet" tells you?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            If you like the sound, why care what the "internet" tells you?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
            Good point. Now I'm questioning myself - do I REALLY like the sound as much as I think I do...? Time to go jam again to confirm lol.

I suppose I should mention that in terms of cost it cost me about $275 with the V30 onboard alongside one stock T75.

Comment

I've got a Blackstar HT100 head and plug the 8 ohms out into the mono 8 ohms input on the back of the cab. You should match the impedance of the output and the input .

Comment

Working...
              X