Marshall VS65r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall VS65r

A guy has offered his VS65r really cheap, and I've been thinking about getting it for some time now. Problem is, in here, there are a lot of good all-tube amps that goes up for sale every now and then. So...

Should I buy this amp?

Or pass on this one, and wait for a very good deal on an all-tube amp?

Re: Marshall VS65r

I had one briefly. Some good tones in it for sure compared to a pure SS (analog) amp.

I bought it used and the fellow who had it previously installed an EV speaker and made the cab closed back. Very punchy, but needed some volume to fill out the mids/sound. Good modded marshall type sound. I think a different speaker would have helped at lower volumes.

Whether you should buy it or not, is your call. Good amp for low $. But it won't compare to an all tube marshall.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I would wait! I played it long time ago and think it sucks!
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
        I had one briefly. Some good tones in it for sure compared to a pure SS (analog) amp.

I bought it used and the fellow who had it previously installed an EV speaker and made the cab closed back. Very punchy, but needed some volume to fill out the mids/sound. Good modded marshall type sound. I think a different speaker would have helped at lower volumes.

Whether you should buy it or not, is your call. Good amp for low $. But it won't compare to an all tube marshall.
        yeah. that's a problem.

somebody is selling a JCM900 4501 for 50% more of the VS65r, but it's pre-amp tubes are busted (or so the seller says). I don't have some tubes so I can try the amp. And I'm really not sure if it's just the tubes which is busted, and I don't really know a good amp tech to go with me and check it out. The seller is saying that it doesn't get loud even if he's already replaced the power tubes (he used 6L6s instead of the stock 5881s).

decisions...decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner
          yeah. that's a problem.

somebody is selling a JCM900 4501 for 50% more of the VS65r, but it's pre-amp tubes are busted (or so the seller says). I don't have some tubes so I can try the amp. And I'm really not sure if it's just the tubes which is busted, and I don't really know a good amp tech to go with me and check it out. The seller is saying that it doesn't get loud even if he's already replaced the power tubes (he used 6L6s instead of the stock 5881s).

decisions...decisions...
          I would totally pass on that 900, that much I know.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

The 2nd gen VS-65 is a great sounding amp. I owned a VS 100 for a long time, it was a great sounding amp. I was really suprised at how good those sounded. The 1st gen was too thin and the AVH ( Is that the new name????)line never sounded that great to me.
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Skip it! Too trebly for me, it sounds different from VS100. That one is pretty nice.

Comment

yeah, i guess i'll skip it.

the guy who's selling the 4501 is now saying that the clean channel does not clean up. that should not be the case for busted tubes right? or is it one of the symptoms?

has anyone of you tried the Orange "Crush" line of amps? They look cool, but bad their biggest is just a 30-watter.

Comment

Working...
                X