Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best budget violin style bass?

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    And that would accomplish what, besides limiting people's of choice of instruments? I thought that viola bass was fun to play. It inspired me. I'm tired of seeing Fender basses, and copies of them. Too much conformity for me. The only beef I have with any instrument is if someone doesn't play their's well, which is more the player's fault and what he chose (case-in-point: the legions of guys who can't EQ their Strats, but look at what Hendrix and others did with theirs). To me, McCartney validated the viola bass concept, so it's just a matter of whether they appeal to you or not. Like I said, there's certainly players that like them (unless Gibson/Epiphone/Hoffner faked all the positive reviews, which no doubt BlueTalon is looking into).
    You just typed a ton of words that say what the last part of my post said in a few.
    sigpic Wes
    Originally posted by Robert S.
    I love you too Charlie!
    Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

I was going to recommend the Hofner, but the best budget viola bass I suspect is the Rogue viola bass from musicians friend. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...in-bass-guitar I have a different model of rogue bass. I paid $30 for it on clearance and sells new for about $100 it is my favorite bass for play ability and sound. I am embarrassed to admit, but I like it more than my $3500 Fender Custom Shop '57 Precision Bass, more than my collectible mid 80's MIJ jazz bass (first generation bass after the latest fender sale). So I have every reason to believe that not only is it the best $200 you can spend for a bass, but that if it is like mine it will play and sound fantastic. A thing to remember is that often instruments like a viola bass are made in the same factory and the primary difference is the decal with the other wood parts and often hardware being exactly the same. So consider the Rogue in your search, it will be my choice when I decide to get a viola bass.

Comment

When I bought my EB3, the guy was trying to sell me on a violin bass. It really felt like a toy to me, unfortunately. The neck dive didn't help matter either. I do think I would be able to find a tone I like pretty quickly; I like that 70's thud a lot and just through mucking around with it through an Orange Terror head I was getting some pretty retro funky things happening. It's pretty nasal, for lack of a better term, so I think it'd be really good for those melody bass players who're all over the place.

I would choose one over the big funk/prog slabs that are all over the place now. I'm sure those play much better, but I'd rather err on the side of funky and weird than piano-like tone.

BTW I have a buddy in Bremerton who done come off the Stennis recently. I'm trying to drag him back down the coast.
        Originally posted by Funkfingers
        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
          You just typed a ton of words that say what the last part of my post said in a few.
          Mine was far more eloquent. I'm an artist, I paint with words.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
            violin bass... I do think I would be able to find a tone I like pretty quickly; I like that 70's thud a lot and just through mucking around with it through an Orange Terror head I was getting some pretty retro funky things happening...I think it'd be really good for those melody bass players who're all over the place.

I would choose one over the big funk/prog slabs that are all over the place now. I'm sure those play much better, but I'd rather err on the side of funky and weird than piano-like tone.

+1. They're lightweight and comfortable, and the short scale makes them easy for a guitarist to play (and I'm one of those 'melody guys that are all over the place'). Until recently, I thought that was one bass I'd never want to play, but after this weekend, and actually playing one, I like it a lot. I'm used to neck dives with SG's so that's nothing new to me. Yeah, the 'big funk/prog slabs' are of no interest to me either, especially when they have all those extra strings and a neck that's 6 inches across. It's like holding a park bench around your neck.
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Mine was far more eloquent. I'm an artist, I paint with words.
              You got me there!
              sigpic Wes
              Originally posted by Robert S.
              I love you too Charlie!
              Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
                You got me there!
                Why say it with less, when you can say it with more? You can cut a book down to Cliff Notes, but it's not the same experience. Similar approach Jimmy Page had to solos in his younger days: why play 100 notes when you can play 1,000?

Comment

Working...
                X