Rounds vs Halves/Grounds vs Flats vs Nylons Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rounds vs Halves/Grounds vs Flats vs Nylons Bass

Well, I'll be an Uncle's Monkey. Last time I played flatwounds, they sounded dead and felt like crap - sliding felt like it was ripping my fingers open.

I've also heard mention of "tapewound" - is that the same thing?
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
      Well, I'll be an Uncle's Monkey. Last time I played flatwounds, they sounded dead and felt like crap - sliding felt like it was ripping my fingers open.

I've also heard mention of "tapewound" - is that the same thing?
      You are not alone. Most flats sound deadish and dull to me. If you play something like Thomastik infeld, it will change your understanding and true experience about what flats can do. Of course you have to spend $70-$100 per set, but they last and last. They are supple, they feel amazing, they are defined, articulate. If you do studio work, I think it imperative to have both flats and rounds. They both provide something very needed and cool.

Tapewounds are wound in nylon with a steel core. Similiar for sure, but not the same.

Cheers!
      Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

You could always try something like the GHS Pressurewound Flats or the Ken Smith Compressors. Both of them are roundwounds where the wrap is slightly flattened during the winding process, giving you a sleeker feel, less string noise and a mellower sound but still retaining the clarity of roundwounds. I've been using them quite a bit on my basses and they sound/feel great.
        I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
        I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
          You could always try something like the GHS Pressurewound Flats or the Ken Smith Compressors. Both of them are roundwounds where the wrap is slightly flattened during the winding process, giving you a sleeker feel, less string noise and a mellower sound but still retaining the clarity of roundwounds. I've been using them quite a bit on my basses and they sound/feel great.
          those usually get thrown in with half wounds. Feel and life of a flatwound with the sort of preserved tone of the round wound.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            those usually get thrown in with half wounds. Feel and life of a flatwound with the sort of preserved tone of the round wound.
            Exactly.

As for your question about longevity of halves, I find they last a while. A regular gig of mine is a Summerstock theatre where the pit is directly under the stage, and usually quite hot and stuffy. When you're in there for 3-4 hours a day, 6 days a week (which isn't counting rehearsals you do prior) 8-10 weeks in the peak of summer, strings get put to the test. For reference, I've had D'Addario XLs last five days, Rotosound Swing 66 last a week and a half, Dean Markley Blue Steels last a little over two weeks and Circle K balanced last about three weeks. The GHS Pressurewounds I put on last summer lasted three months; two in that climate and one month with a different (more climate controlled) theatre for a different run.

As always, what you consider a "dead" string may vary from someone else, but I usually fall into the very hi-fi, piano-like clarity and precision sound so I usually change strings quicker than most, so for a set to last three months is quite a feat.
            I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
            I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

I had a collection of all the different string wrappers I've used over the years: Markley, D'ads, GHS, Pyramid, Fender, Roto, Kaman, LaBella, Teflon coated, tapes, flats, rounds, half-rounds, ovals...

My brightest sound was from the copper round-wound D'ads, but they faded fast. They were really soft for a metal winding.

I usually go for XL medium light rounds, because they're available all over.
              sigpic
              "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
              Originally posted by Lewguitar
              In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

When the rest of the band hits the fan the difference can quickly be marginal. The high end of the bass strings doesn't make it unless you play "The Wall" or something mellow. Especially modern distorted guitars invade that space, and then there's the keyboarder's evil left hand.

One other thing to consider is that the nylon would strings can cause harm when they actually insulate your fingers from ground and your bass was relying on grounding your ass for shielding (aka almost all).

Comment

Bump for blueman
                  Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X