Picking hand endurance exercise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking hand endurance exercise.

A dumb little trick I found out while I was at work. Taking a squirtbottle and just consecutively spraying water is a serious work out for your picking hand if you use the traditional 2 finger style. It really digs into the core of your hand and your forearm, and its much more efficient than just doing sprints on bass with your fingers.

I've already noticed a real improvement in speed and stamina. If you have a spare spraybottle just fill it with water and start spraying til you feel it, sort of like doing curls with your fingers. I haven't strained myself with it yet, or cramped up or got carpal tunnel yet so I think it's pretty safe to do. Obviously don't push yourself and you still have to practice bass itself to sound articulate and minimize the strain.

Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you.

Maybe in the future they can make a little device that work in the same sort of way. Similar to those little grip things they sell to help build finger calluses, or maybe it already exists and I don't know.

Re: Picking hand endurance exercise.

I don't think the grippy guitar things were for building callouses, they were for finger dexterity, which is why there were four separate buttons.

And while the spray bottle or squishy ball or grippy things are an interesting concept - especially when it's impractical to have an instrument with you - the best exercise is still doing it for real. You get the familiarity of the string spacing for one thing, and that's probably the most important, right along with right/left hand coordination.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

I could've SWORN they were to help build callouses too but yeah, mostly fretting hand strength. Plus when you're playing you're fighting the string which is a moving target, the squirt trigger is straight forward and doesn't respond the same. Its no substitute for actually playing, but this helps because it's harder on the muscles in your fingers and forearm. Like instead of punching a punching bag, you're lifting a weight. Lifting a weight won't help you punch better, but it will give you strength and endurance to ALLOW you to punch better. At least that's my logic behind it.

Comment

there is no need for building strength or stamina beyond playing and developing good technique. Good technique means you don't need either. Its kinda like kung fu.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've been told it works to touch yourself more.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            there is no need for building strength or stamina beyond playing and developing good technique. Good technique means you don't need either. Its kinda like kung fu.
            Playing iron maiden, I'm fast enough at first an my brain is in the right place, but the hand gives out after a while. It depends what you play.

Comment

if your hand is giving out then you have too much unnecessary tension in it and/or other parts of your body such as the wrist, forearm or back of the hand, elbow, bicep/tricep, shoulder, back or even other parts of your body.

Find where the tension is and find a way to remove it. If you can do that, you wont get tired.

Internal and counterproductive muscle tension is what holds back players of all instruments from playing as fast, fluidly, expressively or powerfully as they would like. This has got nothing to do with genre or style of music. Its the same for everyone.

Steve Harris's hands are no different to yours. Hes got the same amount of fingers and he has the same tendons and ligaments. Pain and fatigue when playing are the products of wasted energy and tension. You are already strong enough. You already have enough speed.
              You said this yourself given that you can play this stuff at the start, but then you get tired. Its the wasted energy and too much muscular tension that leads to lactic acid build up. Its kind of the same effect as running as fast as you can, but holding your breath. You can only do it for so long, no matter how fit or strong you might be. You can train yourself to get better at running while holding your breath - you might even get really fast over a short distance, but playing music is not a 5 or 10 second sprint. You need to change how you do things so you can keep going fast for much longer periods.

Watch Steve Harris play - he never looks like hes trying hard. You know why?
              Its cos hes not trying hard. Playing that stuff is easy for him because he is damn good at playing bass and has perfected his technique. He does not waste energy when he plays, he does not have unnecessary tension in his hands or any other part of his body. Steve is just like anyone else who is amazing at their instrument. He has awesome technique which facilitates him doing what he does night after night and staying injury free.

You don't need more strength. You need too look closely and deeply at the mechanisms involved in how you play.
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

if your hand is giving out then you have too much unnecessary tension in it and/or other parts of your body such as the wrist, forearm or back of the hand, elbow, bicep/tricep, shoulder, back or even other parts of your body.

Find where the tension is and find a way to remove it. If you can do that, you wont get tired.

Internal and counterproductive muscle tension is what holds back players of all instruments from playing as fast, fluidly, expressively or powerfully as they would like. This has got nothing to do with genre or style of music. Its the same for everyone.

Steve Harris's hands are no different to yours. Hes got the same amount of fingers and he has the same tendons and ligaments. Pain and fatigue when playing are the products of wasted energy and tension. You are already strong enough. You already have enough speed.
                You said this yourself given that you can play this stuff at the start, but then you get tired. Its the wasted energy and too much muscular tension that leads to lactic acid build up. Its kind of the same effect as running as fast as you can, but holding your breath. You can only do it for so long, no matter how fit or strong you might be. You can train yourself to get better at running while holding your breath - you might even get really fast over a short distance, but playing music is not a 5 or 10 second sprint. You need to change how you do things so you can keep going fast for much longer periods.

Watch Steve Harris play - he never looks like hes trying hard. You know why?
                Its cos hes not trying hard. Playing that stuff is easy for him because he is damn good at playing bass and has perfected his technique. He does not waste energy when he plays, he does not have unnecessary tension in his hands or any other part of his body. Steve is just like anyone else who is amazing at their instrument. He has awesome technique which facilitates him doing what he does night after night and staying injury free.

You don't need more strength. You need too look closely and deeply at the mechanisms involved in how you play.
                Already tried. Am still trying. Finding a zen and a breath pattern. But physics is physics. And energy transfer is energy transfer. And without practice and with loss in finger strength you can no longer run pick as fast or as long. Same goes with the fretting hand. If what you're saying WAS 100% true people would not lose the skill, the speed, or the stamina after perfecting the tehnique and the mindset, but it happens. And strenght and stamina should be developed and worked on.

Comment

I guess you are 21, so you are still young enough to know everything. Good luck with the squeezy bottle.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'm still trying to fine-tune technique - and I'm over 2X 21.

In several years you might notice some byproducts of suboptimal technique like carpal tunnel and basal joint (Thumb) issues. I started experiencing the latter around 27 or 28, so you're (The OP) not that far away. I'd certainly try to heed Gibson175's advice.

Comment

I guess you are 21, so you are still young enough to know everything. Good luck with the squeezy bottle.
                      That was passive aggressive... I told you I agree with you. I have been trying to find the zen for a while now and am still trying. I'm just trying other stuff too, jeez. And yes the squeezy bottle is helping. Thanks for the support...

Comment

So?
                        Last edited by TubeHeadForumDude; 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Imagine how much better Iron Maiden would sound if Steve Harris had access to a a squeezy bottle when he was younger.
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Imagine how much better Iron Maiden would sound if Steve Harris had access to a a squeezy bottle when he was younger.
                            At least Steven still has all that pure Zen technique to fallback on. Strength training and speed development outside of the ring would likely be a determent to him in a fight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_leub9i7gtv1qa93ac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	5769383
                            Last edited by TubeHeadForumDude; 04-06-2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

You're not helping or contributing anymore, just making me think less of you which I don't want to, please stop... You don't wanna even give it a shot fine but don't pick on me for this bs. For the third time I PRACTICE BASS AND AM TRYING TO GET THE MENTAL AND BREATHING PATTERNS DOWN TO MINIMIZE FINGER EFFORT. I am learning the bass "kung fu" I have been for 10 frickin years playing with my fingers exclusively. I know about dynamics and EXACTLY how hard to hit the string for what I play and what I want it to sound like. EVEN WITH MINIMAL EFFORT I can't keep up the pace for long enough. Sure I can tap my fingers on a table at the exact speed I want, even a little faster, but the second I have to start picking a string, it takes more energy out of it, so I need to work on the endurance, and I found a way to help me out a little more when my bass isn't available with me at my job. Who's to say I don't have the technique down perfectly and my fingers just aren't conditioned enough? Certainly not you because you have never seen nor heard me play before, just read some words I typed out so you assume you know everything about my playing. Are you sure YOU aren't still young enough to know everything? I've seen more improvement with my right hand in the month I've been using the bottle then in the previous 2 years of just trying to play the songs over and over again. Perhaps because my head and breathing were in the right place but my fingers just couldn't keep up. Is that SO impossible?

Point is it's working and I'm getting better, and while it seems unorthodox and even silly, I thought it might be cool for others to know any maybe try out for themselves. Ever hear of leg weights? They're weights your wrap around your leg that you run and walk with to condition your muscles more and get more out of every step because sometimes running for an hour just isn't practical. You can argue that "the best way to get better at running is running." or "The best way to get better at playing bass is to play bass." But there are other ways that can help too that you can do WHILE you run or play bass, like doing squats or using the resistance from a dumb little squeezy bottle. If that is either beyond your grasp of comprehension or you are just so close minded to other ideas then just go away because you've already said what you've wanted to.

Hell, I've always done his style with 3 fingers anyway to do his triplets, but I figured it would be a good goal to set to be able to do it with 2. And Harris isn't beyond dumb little tricks either. He often uses pool chalk on his fingers to keep his fingers dry so they don't stick while he's playing and slow him down, plus they prevent a little friction. I've tried it and it actually works really well, doesn't get on the bass or strings or anything. But other chalks I've tried will just make it stickier and come off instantly, so it depends which one you get. The blue chalk in the little squares is the best. So your statement, "If only Steve Harris had ______ when he was younger." wasn't far off. Except instead of a bottle, it was frickin pool chalk.
                              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X