banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

Squier has a VM Mustang that is much better than the Bronco, thicker body, better parts. I have one and it stays in tune and as far as fit and finish I have no issues with it, your only problem might be the pup that comes with it but that can be solved, of course.

Leave a comment:

• BlueTalon
    replied

If I were to get a short scale bass, it would either be a Warmoth build to get a quality instrument, or a spur-of-the-moment purchase of something cheap in a pawn shop. No in-between for me. If I start contemplating spending a couple hundred bucks on a short scale bass, I'm pretty sure the money would go to something else I'd been contemplating.

Speaking only for myself.

Leave a comment:

• Diminished Triad
    replied

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Slap oriented bassists often use a Jazz Bass but the funkiest electric bassist of them all used a Precision Bass with old flatwound strings, muted them and picked with one finger. James Jamerson.
    My favorite continues to be Verdine White of Earth Wind and Fire. Was able to meet him backstage a while ago and learned he has tons of bass guitars and every few years rotates - so no real preference for Ibanez as I had earlier thought.......has used Fenders lots and Yamahas a little too. Verdine has not lost a step and jams like it's his last concert.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

Slap oriented bassists often use a Jazz Bass but the funkiest electric bassist of them all used a Precision Bass with old flatwound strings, muted them and picked with one finger. James Jamerson.

Leave a comment:

• Diminished Triad
    replied

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
    Also consider fret radius and neck shape... those are as valid as scale when considering what bass to wear. (Yeah, we're like fashionistas shopping for shoes.)

Are you slapping some funk, or grinding some overdrive rock?
    Is there a most preferred R&B/Funk bass?

Leave a comment:

• Laughing Kookaburra
    replied

If you can find one, the MIJ short scale Fender P bass goes for a few hundred bucks. It is excellent.

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied

Also consider fret radius and neck shape... those are as valid as scale when considering what bass to wear. (Yeah, we're like fashionistas shopping for shoes.)

Are you slapping some funk, or grinding some overdrive rock?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
    squier makes a shortscale jag
    The Bronco is a much better bass for less money. I promise you.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I use a Gretsch G2210 Jet Bass to compose bass lines with. It's around $200. Solid chunk of wood, actually heavier than you would expect. It sounds good, does P-Bass/Jazz kind of tones, plays in tune, intonation good. It's only drawback is it has some flappy, distorted snap to it if you pluck the strings too hard. I usually have to keep the tone dialed down to a really warm setting like 3-5 and watch my technique.
    Have you tried flatwounds with it?

Leave a comment:

• PunkKitty
    replied

I have a Gretsch Electromatic short scale that I love. You can pick them up used for less than $100

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

What is the urgency for short scale?

Leave a comment:

• astrozombie
    replied

squier makes a shortscale jag

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Squire Bronco. Very usable tones.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

Glenn. Is this hypothetical short scale bass for you or for somebody else? Whatever happened to your Maya Ripper/Grabber style bass guitar? Is the price the single most important factor?

Cort.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I use a Gretsch G2210 Jet Bass to compose bass lines with. It's around $200. Solid chunk of wood, actually heavier than you would expect. It sounds good, does P-Bass/Jazz kind of tones, plays in tune, intonation good. It's only drawback is it has some flappy, distorted snap to it if you pluck the strings too hard. I usually have to keep the tone dialed down to a really warm setting like 3-5 and watch my technique.

I tried a Squire Bronco Bass, Epiphone EB-0, Ibanez Mikro when I was shopping. Squire wouldn't play in tune and sounded weak/weird. Epiphone was very comfortable, played like a small guitar, but the sound was absolutely vintage dead. One-trick pony. The Ibanez I tried had electrical problems and what worked didn't sound great. The tone controls weren't musical. Like listening to your bass from another room.
    I had one of the Mikro basses
    never could get it intonate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X