banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    erm... not so much...

How wide do your fingers have to be to cover all those strings? I've played an 8-string bass and found it took a lot more accuracy with the fretting hand to fret both strings evenly, I think if I tried on one of those I'd just have to make a bar across the whole neck.

Comment

Maybe my ears are going (it's likely) but I've played 1 or 2 shortscale basses in my time and never noticed them out of tune... except I wasn't playing along with anything else so, who knows.

What does the Bronco SOUND like though? I notice it has 1 single coil.

Does it get good output provided the pickup is set at a "proper" height?

I like the Hofner Violin but it's a little out of my price range considering this is isn't a bass that's going to get a ton of daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        I'm kind of a short scale bass nut. I try to test out any models that come out, whenever I can find them locally. As far as recent/current Squier short scale basses, I have owned the Bronco and the Jaguar Short Scale. In my eyes, the Bronco is hands down the best bang for a buck in any new bass, not just short scale basses. It needs no modifications at all to be gigged. The tuners are the weakest link, and even they work fine in the end. They sound great, look great, play great, and are reliable. The Jaguar is cool too, but mine really sounded like garbage, and had some very rough finish work. The tuners and bridge are really bad quality parts. It required extensive mods to make it into what I'd consider a gig-worthy/reliable bass.
        A friend has a silver Jaguar... It was... uninspiring.

Comment

Has anyone seen or tried the Fender Japan "Smart Size" Jazz Bass? The site says it's 85% scale.

Comment

Anyone ever hear/play/own a Hofner Violin bass guitar?
            They also use 30 inch scales.....some relatively inexpensive on Ebay (not cheap though!). The higher end ones like the one used by McCartney run from over 2k to just under 4k on the net. Can get a decent used one, one of the lower end models, for maybe 300-750. Anyone ever play a Hofner?

Comment

Working...
            X