banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astrozombie
    replied
    Re: What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

a hofner would be interesting, I've wanted that sound for a while and she might be into it, it's a more "petite" (sp?) bass than say.. a P bass.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
    what scale are hofners?
    Typically, 30".

Official Höfner website. http://www.hofner-guitars.com

Interesting site with loadsa vintage European stuff. http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/index.html
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2013, 04:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kosh Naranek
    replied

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
    I play 12 strings and of course most of the play is rhythm/chords. With bass is almost always notes....how do two harmonic additions to each note sound? I see there are still only 4 tuners. Thanks for clarifying! I've never heard one of these.....appreciate any further info you could share.
    Look at my post again. I posted a pic of the four string version, with the headstock visible.
    The pic of the 12 string bass does not show the headstock. jtougas posted a great pic of a 12 string bass headstock.

You may not have heard of a 12 string bass, but you probably have heard one. As mentioned, Pearl Jam's bassist used one on some songs. Doug Pinick of King's X used one on some songs.
    And everyone has heard Cheap Trick. Their bassist plays them.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
    Tina Weymouth ... used a Mustang early on for the Talking Heads, and also a Jazz for the live Tom Tom Club shows. One of these may be a way to go for the young lady.
    Tina Weymouth used a whole bunch of different basses at one time or another. The plunky, "no sustain" tone on the first two TH albums is short scale/plectrum style. Photographs exist of her with both Mustang and Musicmaster Bass guitars. Later phases included vintage Höfner, Steinberger, Pedulla and, as Reggie well knows, the Gibson Triumph Bass. (See Reggie's avatar!)

Leave a comment:

• astrozombie
    replied

ive played a 12 string bass. completely nails the jeremy sound no matter what bass it is.

I'm thinking mustang (or bronco) bass is the way to go.

what scale are hofners?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    The opening riff on Pearl Jam's 10 album was played on one of those, I believe...
    The opening riff for Jeremy was played on one of those. Once used a 4 string.

Leave a comment:

• threechordcharlie
    replied

I never tried a short scale that I liked. I did love an old Peavey Foundation that I had years ago, the width at the nut felt like a Strat.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

erm... not so much...

Leave a comment:

• Diminished Triad
    replied

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
    It's just like a 12 string for guitar. Except there are two octave strings to accompany each main string.
    I play 12 strings and of course most of the play is rhythm/chords. With bass is almost always notes....how do two harmonic additions to each note sound? I see there are still only 4 tuners. Thanks for clarifying! I've never heard one of these.....appreciate any further info you could share.

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied

The Pixies' tone is decidedly roundwound to my ear, rolled off at the top end to minimize string noise.

One of the bassists whose work I respect is Tina Weymouth. A little wiki told me she used a Mustang early on for the Talking Heads, and also a Jazz for the live Tom Tom Club shows.
    One of these may be a way to go for the young lady.

Leave a comment:

• erksin
    replied

squier makes a shortscale jag
    Yep - I got one for my kid. Great bass!

Danelectro Shorthorns are cool too.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

The opening riff on Pearl Jam's 10 album was played on one of those, I believe...

Leave a comment:

• BlueTalon
    replied

It's just like a 12 string for guitar. Except there are two octave strings to accompany each main string.

Leave a comment:

• Diminished Triad
    replied

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
    As long as the topic might be purely hypothetical, I would say screw the $300 price limit and get a USA Hamer B4S short scale bass.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]45146[/ATTACH]

While I was at it, I might get one with a few additional strings and fancy flamey wood.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]45147[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately these are only available used and maybe a few NOS ones around these days, but they're out there.
    Can you explain the additional strings? Haven't seen anything like this!

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

it's for my girlfriend.
    Dobly!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X