banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astrozombie
    replied
    Re: What Short Scale Basses Can You Recommend?

its for my girlfriend.

for tones like that.

no urgency.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

Glenn. You never returned to this thread with any follow up.

I am going to assume that the disposable funds mentioned in the opening post went towards your latest guitar amplifier. Luckily, the question prompted some good replies.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied

Originally posted by Luís View Post
    Squier has a VM Mustang that is much better than the Bronco, thicker body, better parts. I have one and it stays in tune and as far as fit and finish I have no issues with it, your only problem might be the pup that comes with it but that can be solved, of course.
    A buddy of mine plays bass behind me at times with a 1967 Mustang short scale Bass that is a KILLER! The VM Squire LOOKS dead on his so I say take a HARD look at one!

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied

A thought for the pawnshop/used model: Cort.

They've got some short-scale double cutaway P models for a good price on the 2nd-hand market.

MIK, decent quality (if they haven't been all hammered on and hacked to death).

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

The golden one. ****, yeah!

Leave a comment:

• Kosh Naranek
    replied

As long as the topic might be purely hypothetical, I would say screw the $300 price limit and get a USA Hamer B4S short scale bass.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B4Sd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	5771538

While I was at it, I might get one with a few additional strings and fancy flamey wood.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	35709_138054182875630_2930436_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	5771539

Unfortunately these are only available used and maybe a few NOS ones around these days, but they're out there.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
    I've wondered about those. There are cheaper short scales, but being a blues and classic rock sort of guy when it comes to bass, that model caught my eye.
    i got a really good deal on mine, not sure what they are new these days. its a really nice bass for what it is. big warm thick sound. the bottom isnt as deep and the highs arent a clear as a pbass but its a big warm wooly beast of a sound. i have flat wounds on mine and everyone whos played it thinks its great. when i play in a trio the bass player uses it all the time over his fender jazz. its a great classic rock/blues bass.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

No problem. Let us know how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    Have you tried flatwounds with it?
    I haven't tried flatwounds. I hadn't thought of it. But that's a very interesting idea. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Laughing Kookaburra
    replied

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    i have an epiphone allen woody rumblekat and it kicks ass, as long as you dont need much versitility. i got mine for $300 or less used. sounds great, plays great, and stays in tune..
    I've wondered about those. There are cheaper short scales, but being a blues and classic rock sort of guy when it comes to bass, that model caught my eye.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

The question at the heart of this thread is hypothetical. Odds are that nothing will be purchased.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

i have an epiphone allen woody rumblekat and it kicks ass, as long as you dont need much versitility. i got mine for $300 or less used. sounds great, plays great, and stays in tune.

if you want a funk bass, you dont want a short scale bass.

Leave a comment:

• jtougas
    replied

I had to go back and reread to make sure it didn't say Milky Way, 'cause I was really confused about how a bass benefited from nougat.

Leave a comment:

• Funkfingers
    Guest replied

+1 for the Squier VM idea.

For fans of rosewood fingerboards and Competition Stripes, there is now also the Mikey Way (My Chemical Romance) signature model. The important difference is the soapbar type bass humbucker pickup. Easy upgrading to EMG-35 or Blackouts ASBO-4.

My Chemical Romance bassist Mikey Way is one of our newest Squier signature artists. Watch as he discusses his dream bass and shows off a few of its special ...
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM. Reason: Vid

Leave a comment:

• Diminished Triad
    replied

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
    If I were to get a short scale bass, it would either be a Warmoth build to get a quality instrument, or a spur-of-the-moment purchase of something cheap in a pawn shop. No in-between for me. If I start contemplating spending a couple hundred bucks on a short scale bass, I'm pretty sure the money would go to something else I'd been contemplating.

Speaking only for myself.
    Good points - the Warmoth designed short scale bass goes as low as 30". I'm not sure about the real effect a shorter bass has on tone/depth of tone. With a guitar it's easy to hear the pitch change with just a small length adjustment. It's likely that same concession takes place with a bass guitar. We have a female bass player with small hands and she is proof that it's not the size of the hand that counts the most it's the movement across the fret board. She actually prefers a standard size P Bass to anything else smaller.....and even over what might appear (for her size) to be a more comfortable Steinburger.
    I think you can build a good high quality short scale from Warmoth if you do want....
    Last edited by Diminished Triad; 07-24-2013, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X