Gene Simmons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Simmons

, he's a marketing wiz, and he is a bit if a tool, but he's been laying down the groove with KISS for 40 years, and I don't recall ever seeing a discussion of his playing.

What do you think

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Re: Gene Simmons

I've always liked his bass playing.

Comment

I dont get why ? In my Opinion, Kiss is the worlds most hard rocking rock band ever. All the British bands are great, but as usual, an American band is going to be the hardets heavist band ever. Not the "greAtest", thats the Stones . Npt the best, thats the Beatles..Not the I love all of Kis awesome hit tunes, they are the hardest clsasic rock odf all time in the world, ever and anyone who deosnt get them is a fool. Every heavy metal and hard rock band that came after them was only a copy of Kiss.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-15-2013, 10:39 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
        , he's a marketing wiz, and he is a bit if a tool, but he's been laying down the groove with KISS for 40 years, and I don't recall ever seeing a discussion of his playing.

What do you think

Noone moe bad, For ever, for aLL TIME, sIMMONS RULZ.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post

What do you think

Noone moe bad, For ever, for all time. Gene was a Monster. Noone could touch him. He flat out pounded and hammered like no one else ever for 40 years. This isnt Jaco folks... Jazz fruits go home....This is maerica, and this is heavy Metal, this is classic hard rock at its best..get it? Got it? good!
          Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Fine bass player, and is actually surprisingly humble about his skills. I grew up learning stuff Detroit Rock City, Black Diamond, Love Gun, Calling Dr. Love, and those are sick bass lines by any standard.

Comment

I like Gene as a bass player, greatest bass player no, showman yes, greatest hard rock band ever no, entrepreneur and marketing genius absolutely.
              "and is actually surprisingly humble about his skills." as per Falloffthebonetone. As a person he has my respect all day.
              Theses are all my opinion, except for the person thing that is true everyone can agree on!
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

I should elaborate on the post above, I was into Zeppelin and Rush, and Allman Brothers, Yes, Bad Company when Kiss was coming out. I was never into the costumes, but I always heard they had a great stage show. I was into John Paul Jones, Geddy and Berry Oakley
                BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                Gibson EBO

Comment

I always thought Gene was spot on as a bass player, especially on the early stuff.
                  Last edited by Wattage; 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I've always felt that he's been under appreciated for his bass playing. I really dig the bass line in Detroit Rock City. Seeing them live, you'll really get to see and hear what he does. The man can lay down a groove, no doubt about it.

Comment

I am not too fond of " I was made for loving you"...it's one of those songs I hum though I dont like it. It's that groovy bassline... ... now I am humming it.
                      sigpic
                      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                      JFG Flying V,
                      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Awesome thread!! Its really ironic. Ever since this bass heading opened up, Ive been wanting to post similar. So much is said about his ego, women, biz practices (marketing genius), but little about the playing. Kiss has a huge fan base for stage show and catchy songs, but sometimes get flack from players for being simple. But Ive always found Gene to lay down a great groove and some of the bass parts are pretty happening. He is no JPJ, who in my eyes is one of THE best, but there are some things happening in the bass line. And as previously mentioned, Gene is very humble about his bass playing. I saw a few vids on youtube where he was playing accoustic guitar and did a pretty nice job with that too.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I really like Gene's bass playing. He usually has a great grunty tone too.

Comment

Gene has always said he was a McCartney style player. If I were in a tribute band, I'd probably have to be Gene, sound and looks wise I can totally play his Demon. But the bass lines scare me. I'll stick to Frehley's work....
                            Last edited by Aceman; 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I tweeted my buddy Gene. We'll see if he stops by...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X