Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try this for refreshing your strings

Just found this:

How to get NEW bass strings in 2 minutes!Without removing the strings from your bass and without any kind of cleaning productsDo try this at home!From http:/...

Anyone has a bass to try? I have relatively fresh strings on and still retaining the zing and brilliance. I am really curious if this actually works. I have a hunch it would only work on really old and dried up strings, not a pack that was only gigged five times. I think the crud inside has to dry up a little so that it can be slapped out this way. A fresher pack would still have oils and lubricants present in the core and makes the crud very sticky.

Another thing that confused me is that why would it be necessary to slacken the string? Well I know it makes it easier to slap, but keeping the string tuned to pitch makes the winding to open up more than when it is slacked.

I bet all bassists will be interested into trying this one. Give feedback, please.

Re: Try this for refreshing your strings

Pretty neat!

I like that guy's other vids too.

Comment

For the sound I like to have, bass strings never get worse with age and use -- only better. I think that "refreshing" the strings is the very last thing I'd want to do on any of my basses. To me, new bass strings sound like dog **** for several months after being installed, and only really start sounding good after maybe a year. As they get more and more use, they sound better and better to me. My main bass is a '76 Musicmaster Bass that is on its third set of strings ever; I only changed the set last time (in 2009) because I busted a low E during a gig. Before that, '94 was the last time I put strings on it, and the time before that was in the Fender factory. The bass I learned on last had its strings changed when I started learning to play...in 1988. I have studio recordings from the early '90's that I played on that bass, and it sounds just as good when I play it today, if not better. In 2008, I switched my P-Bass to heavy-gauge flats instead of light-gauge flats. Those strings now sound better than ever. I feel they've finally broken in. I dunno. I think something like this would have much more use for guitar strings.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Hmmmmm, interesting
        BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
        Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
        Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
        Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
        Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
        Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
        Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
        Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
        Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
        Gibson EBO

Comment

DANG IT I just switched to flats. Apparently it totally works though!

Comment

It does work; the whole concept is akin to taking a rug outside and beating the dust/dirt off of it.

What I'd really be curious is to have someone do this after playing a set of rounds for MONTHS, not just a weekend like was mentioned.
            I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
            I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Boiling the strings in water with a little spoonfull of windex works too.
              Originally posted by longcat
              either way...cracker-y goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                DANG IT I just switched to flats. Apparently it totally works though!
                It'll work with flats as well. The basic premise is that you're just getting the grime out of the spaces between the winds of the strings, and while those spaces are much smaller with flats, they're still there.
                I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
                I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by jaybonitrane View Post
                  Boiling the strings in water with a little spoonfull of windex works too.
                  I've been boiling bass strings for 25 years or more. I've never tried it with Windex.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                    I've been boiling bass strings for 25 years or more. I've never tried it with Windex.
                    It just dissolves a little more crud...dont need to add much....and there is other stuff that would also work.
                    Originally posted by longcat
                    either way...cracker-y goodness.

Comment

Ben Shepard of Soundgarden did two years of heavy touring using one set of strings. I think he has his tech try and find old strings to replace ones he breaks instead of pulling out of a package.
                      Ben's main is a POS Squier too. So is his backup.
                      I like Ben Shepard.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

that's hilarious and awesome

Comment

While this might get some of the crud from between the windings, I use the boiling technique for a deeper cleaning.

I've boiled with rubbing alcohol, and window cleaner as well. I even used vinegar in a pinch.
                          sigpic
                          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                          Originally posted by Lewguitar
                          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            For the sound I like to have, bass strings never get worse with age and use -- only better. I think that "refreshing" the strings is the very last thing I'd want to do on any of my basses. To me, new bass strings sound like dog **** for several months after being installed, and only really start sounding good after maybe a year. As they get more and more use, they sound better and better to me. My main bass is a '76 Musicmaster Bass that is on its third set of strings ever; I only changed the set last time (in 2009) because I busted a low E during a gig. Before that, '94 was the last time I put strings on it, and the time before that was in the Fender factory. The bass I learned on last had its strings changed when I started learning to play...in 1988. I have studio recordings from the early '90's that I played on that bass, and it sounds just as good when I play it today, if not better. In 2008, I switched my P-Bass to heavy-gauge flats instead of light-gauge flats. Those strings now sound better than ever. I feel they've finally broken in. I dunno. I think something like this would have much more use for guitar strings.
                            This^^^^ I like newish strings on my guitars but love old strings on my bass... I like the warmer thicker sound, if I want some rattle I just turn the treble up on my amp and lower the mids
                            Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                            Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                            Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                              Ben's main is a POS Squier too. .
                              what's wrong with Squier ? my main guitar is a 300 dollar Vintage Modified Tele Deluxe... I love it!
                              Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                              Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                              Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Working...
                              X