Truss rod tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod tool

I assumed truss rod nuts were pretty standard..?? I tried to adjust the truss on my Charvel bass and the only tr tool I have is from my Gibby LP and it didnt fit. Are there diff sizes? I guess Ill have to buy one as none of the wrenches or otherwise seem to fit into the groove to get on the nut..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Truss rod tool

Many different sizes out there. I keep a metric set and a standard set.
    sigpic Wes
    Originally posted by Robert S.
    I love you too Charlie!
    Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Yep, there are all sorts out there. Some need a socket, some an allen key and each in a variety of sizes. There are even variations after that to handle different ways in which they are accessed. Try checking on StewMac to see how many options they offer.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Maybe you should ask adieu. He seem to know all about truss rods and their tools.

Comment

Nut driver set (1/4" drive socket set should do) and hex key set. Heck I used both on my Martin before I had the extra long key that reaches into the nut (Using the nut driver as a handle for the hex key).

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            I assumed truss rod nuts were pretty standard..?? I tried to adjust the truss on my Charvel bass and the only tr tool I have is from my Gibby LP and it didnt fit. Are there diff sizes? I guess Ill have to buy one as none of the wrenches or otherwise seem to fit into the groove to get on the nut..
            3 popular sizes are:
            Charvel 80s/early 90s Japan (and other early 90s japan stuff, like my mij ibanez 540s) = 7mm
            Late 90s japan, at least late 90s ESP, modern ESP, all LTD, many other Koreans, & some if not all 80s matsumoku japan stuff = 8mm
            American = mostly 1/4"

note that these three are NOT interchangeable in any way

SO:
            ****Charvel 80s/early 90s Japan (and other early 90s japan stuff, like my mij ibanez 540s) = 7mm**** - probably this. though only 99% sure, because of it being a bass. most basses use guitar sizes, so it's highly unlikely to differ, but still a slight chance

btw, when shopping for a 7mm - avoid stewmac and go to allparts. they have em, stew didn't, at least last week when I ran into that exact issue... also, though nobody on this forum would properly tell me, and lots of guys ridiculed me for trying to find it under another name, here's what that type of tool is properly called (who knows you might find one locally?) : -- 7 MM BOX WRENCH --

PS i bought it specifically for an mij charvel, though it also fit my ibby to my pleasant surprise. 7mm is almost certainly the right size, unless you've got a supersized truss rod... also, 7mm's shape is slightly different (like a "bullet", but with a hexlike pattern continuing down the bullet tip) and it sits strangely, so trying to fit other wrenches to it, you get the feeling that it couldn't POSSIBLY be as small as 7mm - but that's exactly what gives it away as a 7mm one. well, that and google
            Last edited by Adieu; 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM.
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
              Maybe you should ask adieu. He seem to know all about truss rods and their tools.
              why yep i do now... strangely, 0% thanks to you and your buddy LReese. though you claimed to try, did you not? ...helpless & trying for sarcastic as usual, I see. rock on, mate!
              Last edited by Adieu; 12-14-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Adieu,did you read the last post I put in your thread?
                I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenade View Post
                  Adieu,did you read the last post I put in your thread?
                  No, solved my issue myself & was (imho, understandably) unenthused about clicking back into that hissing match....sorry if your answer was useful and i missed it

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                    Yep, there are all sorts out there. Some need a socket, some an allen key and each in a variety of sizes. There are even variations after that to handle different ways in which they are accessed. Try checking on StewMac to see how many options they offer.
                    Wackiest I've come across is Parker. It takes a Torx T27. Given that it uses piano wire for a "truss rod", I suppose that's par for the course.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

Thanks all! Will have to buy some tools!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

My gibson guitars both use 5/16... or 8 mm.

Comment

Working...
                        X