Mixing sets of strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing sets of strings?

The recent polls about strings raise a question.

I've been using roundwound GHS Bass Boomer Heavy for many years. The gauges are 50/70/95/115. I use them because I really REALLY REALLY prefer the heaviest E and A I can get my hands on.

I was going through a box of music-related stuff and found an old set of D'Addario XL Heavy. The gauges on those are 55/75/90/110.

Is there any reason I can't mix these so that I get 55/75/95/115? I have always preferred heavy strings (was never a guitar player).

Note/Disclaimer/Admission of Guilt: I do not do my own setups: I pay a tech to do that periodically.

Would a set up need to be done if I mixed the strings?

I'm concerned about doing anything funky that could screw up the neck on my main player, my '76 P.

dg
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: Mixing sets of strings?

It won't be harmful to try it out. With mixing strings, you may notice differences in feel and sound, but nothing will be damaged. If you notice any change in playability or intonation, you may need to return to the tech, but the adjustments would be small.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Thanks, Baritone. I'm sure I must've done this at times over the years, but in those days I'm sure I had intonation issues at times.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

No prob, man. I have mixed strings on occasion over the years on my guitars and on my bass. If anything, I just have to slightly adjust my playing to deal with the change in tension, but that doesn't take long. Usually, a full setup is not necessary with a small change in gauge.
        Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
          Is there any reason I can't mix these so that I get 55/75/95/115?.
          Some municipalities frown on that. Check your local ordinances.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Some municipalities frown on that. Check your local ordinances.
            We have a new mayor in New York: I think I'll be able to get away with it.

Originally posted by baritone View Post
            No prob, man. I have mixed strings on occasion over the years on my guitars and on my bass....
            I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

The recent polls about strings raise a question.

I've been using roundwound GHS Bass Boomer Heavy for many years. The gauges are 50/70/95/115. I use them because I really REALLY REALLY prefer the heaviest E and A I can get my hands on.

I was going through a box of music-related stuff and found an old set of D'Addario XL Heavy. The gauges on those are 55/75/90/110.

Is there any reason I can't mix these so that I get 55/75/95/115? I have always preferred heavy strings (was never a guitar player).

Note/Disclaimer/Admission of Guilt: I do not do my own setups: I pay a tech to do that periodically.

Would a set up need to be done if I mixed the strings?

I'm concerned about doing anything funky that could screw up the neck on my main player, my '76 P.

dg
              115's aren't exactly the heaviest 4-string set around... you know that right?

though thicker ones like 130's and 135's are mostly geared toward downtuning and/or superlow action w/ high tension, so would certainly require a major setup to switch to in E standard tuning
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                115's aren't exactly the heaviest 4-string set around... you know that right?

though thicker ones like 130's and 135's are mostly geared toward downtuning and/or superlow action w/ high tension, so would certainly require a major setup to switch to in E standard tuning
                Thanks, Adieu...I should have been clearer. I meant heavier than what's typical on standard sets. For example, in a pinch I once had to use a .95 on the E and couldn't wait to get what I was used to back on there. The 115's feel right to me.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Thanks, Adieu...I should have been clearer. I meant heavier than what's typical on standard sets. For example, in a pinch I once had to use a .95 on the E and couldn't wait to get what I was used to back on there. The 115's feel right to me.
                  Yeah 95s are nasty, seem only useable for weak necks w/ busted or absent truss rods....never understood who uses them willingly and why

Comment

Yeah 95s are nasty, seem only useable for weak necks w/ busted or absent truss rods....never understood who uses them willingly and why
                    Thanks for not making me feel so alone!

Years ago I once tried to get a set with a .115 E @ Manny's on 48th St and the salesman said "Naah, we don't got 'em...none of the cats are using them." I said "This "cat" is and will elsewhere... ." I think I got them @ Rudy's down the street.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Thanks for not making me feel so alone!

Years ago I once tried to get a set with a .115 E @ Manny's on 48th St and the salesman said "Naah, we don't got 'em...none of the cats are using them." I said "This "cat" is and will elsewhere... ." I think I got them @ Rudy's down the street.
                      Future GC lifer in training, that one? ....excellent customer service there. Lol. Makes ya wanna run not walk right back to him next time a couple grand are burning a hole in your pocket, eh? :-)

Comment

PS as to your question, D'addarios have a deservedly worse rep than GHS. You definitely can, but they may disappoint...and every case of wasted dull horrid strings on a used bass I've seen seem to have had colour coded ball ends, so...dont expect em to last as long either.

YMMV...but i hate d'adds for guitar and bass both - except when i kinda love em. Thats on used basses gathering dust and stacking discounts for years, they reaaaaaally help haggle stuff down by acting like you think it sucks when you know it just needs a string change. That & 9v batteries drained to ~3v are a bargain hunters best friends!!!!

Comment

PS as to your question, D'addarios have a deservedly worse rep than GHS. You definitely can, but they may disappoint...and every case of wasted dull horrid strings on a used bass I've seen seem to have had colour coded ball ends, so...don't expect em to last as long either.
                          I've been using the GHS for years; my recollection about the d'Adds agrees with your comment: I remember them being pretty dull. And I used to break them.

Future GC lifer in training, that one? ....excellent customer service there. Lol. Makes ya wanna run not walk right back to him next time a couple grand are burning a hole in your pocket, eh? :-)
                          If he didn't go to GC they could probably use him at Best Buy. But the reality is that Sam Ash bought out Manny's as well as most of the rest of what was known as NYC's "music district." They dominated for a few years and then shut down this year to build a GC-style mega store. The block is like a ghost town now.

Here's what's left of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3696.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	5773250

And here's what's left of the place I bought my '76 Rick.

Name:	P1030985_terminal.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	5773251

It makes me very sad.
                          '69 Fender Mustang bass
                          '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I've been using the GHS for years; my recollection about the d'Adds agrees with your comment: I remember them being pretty dull. And I used to break them.

If he didn't go to GC they could probably use him at Best Buy. But the reality is that Sam Ash bought out Manny's as well as most of the rest of what was known as NYC's "music district." They dominated for a few years and then shut down this year to build a GC-style mega store. The block is like a ghost town now.

Here's what's left of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49007[/ATTACH]

And here's what's left of the place I bought my '76 Rick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49008[/ATTACH]

It makes me very sad.
                            Huh....eerie. I just read up on 48th street today to research the origins of an NY neckplate on a 4digit serial ESP procured for a buddy abroad, too. Seems they had a store/small assembly/possible custom shop (contradictory rumors) there. Weird coincidence? Or was 48th just .T.H.E. place for guitar gear before it fell on hard times and got ruined by chains?

Btw, how long ago was all this? (sorry about the offtop, all curious now)

Comment

Huh....eerie. I just read up on 48th street today to research the origins of an NY neckplate on a 4digit serial ESP procured for a buddy abroad, too. Seems they had a store/small assembly/possible custom shop (contradictory rumors) there. Weird coincidence? Or was 48th just .T.H.E. place for guitar gear before it fell on hard times and got ruined by chains?

Btw, how long ago was all this? (sorry about the offtop, all curious now)
                              ESP may had a storefront on 48th St @ one time next to Terminal; my guess would be in the 80s--that seems familiar. For many years "the music district" was West 48th Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues; I'm told it extended farther west many years ago, but for the entire time I was going there (from the late 70s), it ended at Seventh. It was a musician's dream location. When I was in high school I used to cut class to take a train there, just to drool. It consisted of about 6-10 stores on each side of the street (street runs east-west; avenues north-south).

Directly across the street from the shot of Terminal Music (taken 09/02/11) there was a place called "We Buy Guitars" (my back would have been to it taking the shot of Terminal). It was just a narrow, glassed in corridor that had every imaginable guitar and bass hanging one after the other. It was wonderfully grimy and gritty and some of the guitars looked like hell, but they had everything. At the time Fred Smith (bass player from Television) worked behind the counter and you'd have to ask him if you wanted to check something out. You cannot see it in this picture, but there was lettering on the brick wall above the window and for many years after they took down the lettering you could still read the name. If you look very closely below the white sign next to the "Annie" sign you can almost make out the "WE" and below the Annie sign you can sort of see "BUY" (the bricks are lighter).

Name:	IMG_3695.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	5773261

Manny's has been gone for a long time; the picture of the vacant Sam Ash store that replaced it was taken 03/09/13. The last holdout is Rudy's Music Stop, which is a nice place but more geared toward boutique instruments.

There's no doubt these historic, now vacant storefronts will be replaced by the same crap that's infecting NYC everywhere: froyo shops, yet another Starf**ckerbucks, etc.
                              '69 Fender Mustang bass
                              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
                              X