Mixing sets of strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mixing sets of strings?

Daaaamnit, that WAS just too cool... And, as usual, before my time. Probably still some cool place left in Tokyo or something, but other than that, big business & hipster crap really ruined it eh?

I mean srsly, I'm in the OC/LA region and our local stores like Fountain Valley & Hollywood try to tell you theyre the biggest baddest guitar shopping destinations in the world, but its more sad than anything. Other than 5-figure price tag gibby nonsense, Ive pretty much felt up every worthwhile article theyve ever had... And outside PRS, a couple ibby prestiges and the odd ESP, they havent even got any innovative hiend brands, ever. Heck, not accounting for the crazy prices, even Moscow's used market and small forprofit private sellers had better stuff, at least you can actually GO AND PHYSICALLY LOOK AT & PLAY crazy stuff like caparison suhr navigator etc if you have a big wad of cash, or a gazillion cool but borderline reasonable items like ran mayones fgn greco hamer... I dont even understand how you guys BUY new stuff. I mean ok, bass thread, lets see...

Hm... Has anybody EVER seen a *new* Warwick Lakland Sadowsky etc (real main brand, not their squier/epi type lines) in a store in America? Or are you supposed to just cut em a check for a few grand to custom order smthn you can never ever see before you pay, just because some multiplatinum ****** on mtv endorses them???
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      big business & hipster crap really ruined it eh?
      Greed of the landlords, plus 20 years of mayoral administrations catering to the rich didn't help.

Has anybody EVER seen a *new* Warwick Lakland Sadowsky etc (real main brand, not their squier/epi type lines) in a store in America?
      I've seen them @ Rudy's, mentioned above.

Apologies to all for going so far off topic...the destruction of these places is a sore subject for any musician from NYC.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
        Greed of the landlords, plus 20 years of mayoral administrations catering to the rich didn't help.

I've seen them @ Rudy's, mentioned above.

Apologies to all for going so far off topic...the destruction of these places is a sore subject for any musician from NYC.
        Hey me too, and first & last time in NY was 20 years ago, unless you count air terminals.... Its a loss of history & culture, anybody who values that sort of thing or at least gets curious about it all would get upset about all the good stuff with identity lost to faceless big money business

Comment

I work at GHS.

dg27, we make your requested strings in singles, so you can order online from a place like Bass Strings Online, Just Strings, Strings by Mail, or any of those folk that stock singles and get your Boomers in a 55-75-95-115 configuration. So you could easily order your sets and then just bring them to your tech for setup.

I would recommend having a setup done if you go that route, because going from a 50-70-95-115 to a 55-75-95-115 set is going to add an extra 20lbs of tension on your bass neck, so you'll need a little adjustment. As for the nut, if it's already set up for your current gauge, that little "extra" shouldn't be a big deal.
          I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
          I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
            So you could easily order your sets and then just bring them to your tech for setup....I would recommend having a setup done if you go that route, because going from a 50-70-95-115 to a 55-75-95-115 set is going to add an extra 20lbs of tension on your bass neck, so you'll need a little adjustment. As for the nut, if it's already set up for your current gauge, that little "extra" shouldn't be a big deal.
            This is very useful to know: Thanks for posting!
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1
            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

This is very useful to know: Thanks for posting!
              Glad to help. Below is a link to our Bass String Tension Guide that I spent the last three or so months working on that covers every string we offer at current.

GHS Strings - Bass String Guide

Comment

Wow--great stuff: Thanks!
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Wow--great stuff: Thanks!
                  If there's any other question you may have GHS-related, please let me know. Prior to working here, I was an endorsing artist for GHS and before that, one of those Talkbass-folk that tried whatever tickled my fancy. I have a little bit of experience playing different strings and beating the crap out of them, and there's a reason I settled on GHS.

Comment

I work at GHS.

dg27, we make your requested strings in singles, so you can order online from a place like Bass Strings Online, Just Strings, Strings by Mail, or any of those folk that stock singles and get your Boomers in a 55-75-95-115 configuration. So you could easily order your sets and then just bring them to your tech for setup.

I would recommend having a setup done if you go that route, because going from a 50-70-95-115 to a 55-75-95-115 set is going to add an extra 20lbs of tension on your bass neck, so you'll need a little adjustment. As for the nut, if it's already set up for your current gauge, that little "extra" shouldn't be a big deal.
                    Singles is the only way I used to buy my stings. I kept a a box of them with me at all times.
                    sigpic Wes
                    Originally posted by Robert S.
                    I love you too Charlie!
                    Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
                      Singles is the only way I used to buy my stings. I kept a a box of them with me at all times.
                      I tried this once but it never worked out in the end, the store would run out of certain gauges, etc.

Comment

I work at GHS.

20lbs from bumping up 2 strings just 0.05"? Holy hell...any idea how much we add on guitar bumping up stock 9-42 to smthn like 11-54? Hundreds of pounds?!

...no wonder you can FEEL tension changes in the neck when bumping up from 95's to 110's. Thank g-d & Allparts for wrenches and the japanese for making fairly durable truss rods :-)

Comment

Its .005". .05" is slightly bigger than an .046 E string.

Comment

My tablet keeps doing the weirdest autocorrect things on trying to use a period as a decimal point in midsentence.... Blame android

Comment

20lbs from bumping up 2 strings just 0.05"? Holy hell...any idea how much we add on guitar bumping up stock 9-42 to smthn like 11-54? Hundreds of pounds?!
                              One of the three main pieces of info for calculating tension is SCALE. On a 34" scale instrument, changes like changing a .050 and .070 G and D strings to .055 and .075 respectively will appear to have a greater effect on a bass over a guitar that has an 25.5" (or so) scale.

I said "appear," because it's all about context. Going from a 9-42 to a 11-54 set goes from ~85lbs to ~117lbs, which is a 37% jump. Going from the 50-115 set to a 55-115 set on bass adds 20lbs of tension, which is closer to 10%.

Comment

Working...
                              X