Skunk stripe separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk stripe separation

I just noticed something disturbing when I picked up my bass today: the end of the skunk stripe closest to the headstock is raised up. The offset is pretty miniscule, just a couple of hairs distance, but definitely noticeable when touched. In fact, I felt it when I started playing and thought maybe it was finger gunk or something until I looked at it and saw it was the end of the stripe. I don't see any separation or space between the stripe and the rest of the adjoining area.

Anyone know if this is something to worry about? Or should I just sand it down and forget about it? Thanks for any ideas!

Re: Skunk stripe separation

I'd just leave well enough alone. You'll get used to it, and it won't hurt your playing one bit.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Has this been happening over time, or was it like that when you got the bass?
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Just noticed it over the last few days. The neck is a replacement neck I bought new back in 1997. :

Comment

BTW, that's a great name for a band. Get Pepe LePew as a logo, and get signed to Warner Bros.
          sigpic
          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
          Originally posted by Lewguitar
          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Is there any finish on the neck? Skunk stripe usually means a maple neck, and maple necks are usually finished. My opinion of what to do might depend on if the finished is cracked or jagged at the end of the skunk strip.

Something like a slightly protruding skunk stripe would drive me nuts. I think I would get a second opinion on it. If it looks like the light protrusion on the end might lead to more of the stripe coming out later, and I really liked the neck the way it was, I'd have it repaired and refinished. If it looks like it's the new permanent, I'd sand it down.
            Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
            To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Is the rest of the skunk stripe okay? Double check that. Sometimes a whole side of the stripe can develop a gap.

If there's still finish on the raised portion and didn't chip off, don't worry about it yet. This also happens a lot with dot markers and usually after it settles it doesn't move again. Skunk stripe is walnut and the rest of the neck is probably maple. Two different woods contract/expand differently. Every guitar has a tendency to shrink slightly over time.

While you're at it, check the relief and working of the truss rod too.
              Last edited by constant mesh; 02-01-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Wait a couple more months (two seasons or so) and you can sand it over.

What kind of finish? Nitro would be easy to repair afterwards.

Comment

The neck is maple, including the fingerboard with a nitro finish. Skunk stripe is walnut. The neck is actually overdue for some fine tuning and truss rod adjustment, so I'll get that done first and see how/if it affects the separated end of the stripe.

Comment

Most likely the stripe is Bubinga NOT walnut. Get a little 400 paper or a new callus. No big deal really.
                    PC

Comment

Originally posted by constant mesh View Post
                      Is the rest of the skunk stripe okay? Double check that. Sometimes a whole side of the stripe can develop a gap.

If there's still finish on the raised portion and didn't chip off, don't worry about it yet. This also happens a lot with dot markers and usually after it settles it doesn't move again. Skunk stripe is walnut and the rest of the neck is probably maple. Two different woods contract/expand differently. Every guitar has a tendency to shrink slightly over time.

While you're at it, check the relief and working of the truss rod too.
                      So, hypothetically speaking, what is the repair if a skunk stripe were to separate on one side?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have had a few Strats that had this problem. One was an '85 Japanese Fender and recently I had a 2012 MIM. I am not a real Strat guy, but my Strat guy expert friends have all seen this...it is not all that uncommon....and it does not stop them from buying/using the guitar.
                        *******Please check out some of my songs:
                        https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          So, hypothetically speaking, what is the repair if a skunk stripe were to separate on one side?
                          There's a buy on IIRC the music man forum which got a skunk stripe out, put in a new truss rod and did some woodwork to clean it before inserting again. He used a steamer pot to just steam the hell out of the back of the neck. There are photos. Quite impressive.

Comment

Working...
                          X