Trivia I learned on bass last year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia I learned on bass last year

Strings really matter for bass. I seem to dislike nickel on frets, and have a lesser preference for round cores.

Pickup position matters, a lot. Too bad Music Man had to "misplace" the Bongo HH bridge pickup.

Active and passive is a very audible difference. Maybe it the specific preamps that the bass companies use.

The Seymour Duncan company really knows how to make a middle of the road well sounding pickup. SPB-1 for the win.

As with guitars, once you go boutique pickups, which Alnico is used is misleading. The Ant1 is brighter than the SPB-1.

Fender's AVRI line is very nice. Some Warwicks, too.

Re: Trivia I learned on bass last year

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    Active and passive is a very audible difference. Maybe it the specific preamps that the bass companies use.
    Amen to that. I picked up a Fender J at GC a few days ago that had a passive active switch and there's a HUGE difference, and not just in volume.

If I had the $$$$$$$$$$ I'd get one of theses, I love me dat passive/active switch:

Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
      Amen to that. I picked up a Fender J at GC a few days ago that had a passive active switch and there's a HUGE difference, and not just in volume.

If I had the $$$$$$$$$$ I'd get one of theses, I love me dat passive/active switch:

That'sthe Wooten Fodera right? Class.

Comment

Holy **** man, that is a killer bass.

What is it?

Comment

I'm gonna measure the frequency curve of some common bass preamps now. If the/some of these things make a difference while frequency passing is linear that would be a nice puzzle.

Oh do I have time for that? Oops.

Comment

Holy **** man, that is a killer bass.

What is it?
            The Fodera Monarch. Victor Wooten's main bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
              The Fodera Monarch. Victor Wooten's main bass.
              Yup. If you've got a spare $11K it seems like an incredible instrument.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

I think I've seen them before but the half-black color setup is just so much better than their regular ones.

Comment

It's not gonna give you the exact sane sound, but if you're looking for a P/J bass with an active/ passive switch, the Fender makes the Troy Sanders Signature Jaguar bass. Probably a lot more affordable than the Fodera.

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                    It's not gonna give you the exact sane sound, but if you're looking for a P/J bass with an active/ passive switch, the Fender makes the Troy Sanders Signature Jaguar bass. Probably a lot more affordable than the Fodera.

http://www.fender.com/basses/jaguar/...d-silverburst/
                    The new Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass has both passive and active circuits as well. I just played one at GC a week or two ago and I was extremely impressed. $1800-ish isn't bad considering how good it looks/plays/sounds. I'm also a huge sucker for fenders with bound necks and block inlays.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

If money is the concern, and you want that sort of setup, just get a used G&L L-2000. They have a passive/active switch and two pickups. They are the best bang for the buck bass you can get. You're talking Fender Custom Shop quality (or better) for $600 to $800 on the used market. If you go to the Tribute line (which is probably 80% as good as the American line), you'll pay half that or even less.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-10-2014, 08:23 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The new Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass has both passive and active circuits as well. I just played one at GC a week or two ago and I was extremely impressed. $1800-ish isn't bad considering how good it looks/plays/sounds. I'm also a huge sucker for fenders with bound necks and block inlays.
                        Ok. I haven't checked them out lately. I'm a big fan of Fender's basses. I might check them out the next time I go to GC.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

My pretty Warwick has an active/passive switch, too.

Comment

Don't like, half of the Carvins have that option?

Sent from my iPad using a bunch of electrons, copper, and probably some fiber optical cable
                            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

My pretty Warwick has an active/passive switch, too.

That is oh so beautiful.

Where's the switch? Is it a push pull?

What are the controls on that instrument? I'm guessing volume, passive tone, blend, active treble and bass? But that would mean that the switch is on the blend, and AFAIK nobody makes a push/pull blend control...

I am confuse.
                              Custom neck-thru strat
                              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                              1995 PRS CE24
                              D'avanzo #8
                              Breedlove Solo Concert
                              1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Working...
                              X