• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trivia I learned on bass last year

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    That is oh so beautiful.

Where's the switch? Is it a push pull?

What are the controls on that instrument? I'm guessing volume, passive tone, blend, active treble and bass? But that would mean that the switch is on the blend, and AFAIK nobody makes a push/pull blend control...

I am confuse.
    I'm guessing it's like the Infinity layout, which has vol/blend (with a p/p), mid, treble/bass (with a p/p for splitting the bridge pickup).

Most of Warwick's active/passive switches are really nothing more than preamp bypass switches, so it becomes passive only because the pickups are bypassing the active preamp; there's no passive tone control. They do the same thing with their basses with active pickups, so you just bypass the tone controls and have the pickups full-on.
    I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
    I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
      I'm guessing it's like the Infinity layout, which has vol/blend (with a p/p), mid, treble/bass (with a p/p for splitting the bridge pickup).

Most of Warwick's active/passive switches are really nothing more than preamp bypass switches, so it becomes passive only because the pickups are bypassing the active preamp; there's no passive tone control. They do the same thing with their basses with active pickups, so you just bypass the tone controls and have the pickups full-on.
      Yeah. One push-pull for active/passive, one for splitting the bridge humbucker. Volume, blend and EQ.

The problem is that nobody sells concentric pots that stack a 250 and a 25K slider, so you can't have one knob that works in both active and passive.

Comment

Couldn't you resistorfy one down to 25K? That'd be a huge resistor though.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
          Couldn't you resistorfy one down to 25K? That'd be a huge resistor though.
          The resistor trick will only work for pot full open, you can't fix it in a way that would work properly for turning down the pot.

You can always make a resistor and capacitor network doing the same thing as full open pots, so that passive mode sounds proper and doesn't run full open/no pots.

Comment

How about a push pull, then? Pull up to engage the resistors, or whichever you prefer.

You could check with Bourns to see if they can do one. Surely they can.

Thinking aloud, it'd be nice to have a modular concentric pot system that had Lego-style housings (so they snap together) and a protruding shaft nib from the main module that interlocked with whichever base module you attached, be it 25k, 250k, etc etc.

Hmmmm....
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Working...
            X