So how do you slap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you slap?

Simple question - how should you hit the string with your thumb when slapping? In a piano hammer fashion or do you actually make a partial downstroke like with a pick?

Re: So how do you slap?

Either. The greats do both.

However, striking through the string on the downstroke will set you up to use the thumb as the upstroke as well (which is what Vic's double thumbing technique is about). Here's a couple vids I did about slap, particularly the thumb.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...ics-the-thumb/
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/ti...humb-upstroke/
    I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
    I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Tons of people do it differently. Flea bounces his thumb off the string and strikes it perpendicular to the string between the pickups. Marcus Miller sort of plucks the string with his slap with a downstroke that like bad OBM said, will set you up for an upstroke, and he picks by the neck. Les Claypool does kind of a mixture of both.

Comment

Arm fully extended, fingers slightly flexed to act as force multiplier, thumb at a right angle to travel, apply to the back of the head as needed...
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I don't usually slap. In fact I don't usually use my fingers, so when I do slap, it's pretty basic. I watched the first video of Slap Bass Basics, and never progressed past that.

BTW are you using a Jack Bruce Warwick in those videos?
          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I usually slap thumb straight out almost perpendicular but just a bit of angle and use the index finger to pop some of the higher strings as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              BTW are you using a Jack Bruce Warwick in those videos?
              Yep, the Artist Series version (read: made in Korea). Specwise, it's the same as the German made, except it doesn't have the side LEDs on the fretboard, which for the price difference, I'm okay with.
              I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
              I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Does the same apply to a lead guitar? I've tried and use three different types of techniques I either pop with my thumb, hit the string parallel, or a downstroke which to me isn't that effective or I just don't do it properly. On a bass it seems to be way easier.
                Originally posted by KBliss
                WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                Originally posted by trevorus
                The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I'm either using a perpendicular strike with the side of my thumb knuckle or striking with my fingertips. I seldom pop as I suck at it. I have an SG bass, so the neck is crowded and thin anyway and the pickups are widely assumed to be possibly the worst pickups ever made by god, man or devil for pop slap work.
                  Originally posted by Funkfingers
                  Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                    Does the same apply to a lead guitar? I've tried and use three different types of techniques I either pop with my thumb, hit the string parallel, or a downstroke which to me isn't that effective or I just don't do it properly. On a bass it seems to be way easier.
                    Slap is all about percussion. On a bass it seems way easier because on a bass it IS way easier. Bass strings have more mass and length, and respond more readily to being struck, than the thinner guitar strings.
                    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

To answer the OP's question about how to slap...
                      Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                      Tons of people do it differently.
                      This.

I do a little slap, not much. For myself, I can hit the E string reliably with my thumb. When I try to hit the A string, I sometimes am not accurate and sometimes don't hit it well. More so with the D string. So when the music requires it, I do a lot of percussive playing ("slap") with my fingers instead of my thumb. It's not the sort of technique I would teach or even recommend, but it works for me.
                      Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                      To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

i use as little force as possible, keep my hands otherwise relaxed and striking the string just before the end of the fingerboard with the last knuckle of the outstretched thumb;
                        this usually results in sounding like someone crashing a stolen car into an orchestra, dragging the bumper and muffler along the ground as they flee the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
                          Yep, the Artist Series version (read: made in Korea). Specwise, it's the same as the German made, except it doesn't have the side LEDs on the fretboard, which for the price difference, I'm okay with.
                          I never understood the idea of the led lights on the sides. I guess I've always played on stages that are fairly well lit.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question. I've been paying attention to how I slap a lot more recently. I have hitchhiker's thumb (when i put my thumb up it looks like it's bent at a 90 degree angle). This helps a lot when I slap, because I can use my thumb even more so as a hammer. I tend to hit the string at a small angle right at the bend (I don't know what it's actually called). It get's a good pop out of the note. Very recently, I've been trying to use my fingers a lot more on the bass, so I've also expanded to the style of slapping common on the double bass where you pull the string away from the fretboard until it snaps back. I'm gonna post a video of my cover of Muse's Panic Station sometime soon.
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I use a method that was discovered since the beginning of time. It works like a charm.

Comment

How has nobody responded "like a little girl" yet?
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X