banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howlermonkey
    replied
    Re: What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Here's some more data.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    Up-tuned 5-string basses rock. No pun intended. Especially when it is harder rock styles and you really go at the strings.
    Yes, this is a heavy grunge alternative power trio.

The one thing that was odd was most of my playing was on the low C# string. Like you would on the E on a four string bass.

How I think I’m going to fix my ‘73 Rick up and string it up with the four bottom strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    This will be interesting... I just started playing bass in a band (the guitarist is the bass player in my main band and the drummer plays in both).

He tunes his guitar down to drop C#. Their last bass player tuned a 4 string Jazz bass down to C#. I have a 5 string, so obviously I don’t need to tune my bass down. But the way the songs are written they use a lot of the open C# bottom string, and I have a low B. Made playing the riffs awkward.

So I tuned my bass UP a step (C#-F#-B-E-A). That works great, but my 40-120 set of strings are really stiff now! And I had to tighten the truss rod quite a bit.

So I’m going to try a D’Addario EXL180 “Extra Super alight” set for the top 4 strings - 35-95, and put like a .110 or .105 on the bottom.
    Up-tuned 5-string basses rock. No pun intended. Especially when it is harder rock styles and you really go at the strings.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

I'm a bass newbie, but I do like 40 - 105's. I also just put some EB Slinky 9's on my Peavey Patriot. I'm not warming up to them right now. This may not be the right axe for these. The "rail" Super Ferrittes single coils are bright. I'll give 'em more time.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

This will be interesting... I just started playing bass in a band (the guitarist is the bass player in my main band and the drummer plays in both).

He tunes his guitar down to drop C#. Their last bass player tuned a 4 string Jazz bass down to C#. I have a 5 string, so obviously I don’t need to tune my bass down. But the way the songs are written they use a lot of the open C# bottom string, and I have a low B. Made playing the riffs awkward.

So I tuned my bass UP a step (C#-F#-B-E-A). That works great, but my 40-120 set of strings are really stiff now! And I had to tighten the truss rod quite a bit.

So I’m going to try a D’Addario EXL180 “Extra Super alight” set for the top 4 strings - 35-95, and put like a .110 or .105 on the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

If your bridge doesn't require pulling the string through a hole, those tuners allow string swaps without damaging the wraps, too.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I really think the old school Fender style where the string goes down into the post is the best design.
    All my old school USA Peavey's have those. I love that design. No string end sticking out to put your eye out.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I really think the old school Fender style where the string goes down into the post is the best design. I’m still using the Sperzels because they’re significantly lighter, but I like the stock Warwick tuners more.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I've never had slipping issues on normal tuners with 9s, but there is a few locking sets that had the small E slipping. I think it had more to do with the tuner than the string, though.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Really? Hmmm. Weird.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Ironically, I've had more slipping issues with locking tuners than regular ones. I have locking Sperzels on my Warwick, and I still put a few wraps to keep them in place.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    I never had that issue. Maybe it’s the way you’re doing it? I stick the string though the hole and measure two tuner lengths past the tuner I’m putting the string into and put a slight bend into the string. Then I pull it back to the bend I made and wrap it around the post one time, while keeping it taught with my other hand. Then I use a crank to wind it.

I’ve never had strings slip.
    Cool. I'll try that. I just found a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's in a drawer.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied
    What's the tonal impact of smaller gauge strings?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Slash is tuned down 1/2 step.

David- You’d laugh at how my basses are setup after all the arguing about heavy strings and higher action. Using 45-100 or 105 strings, usually lower tension sets like Dunlop Super Bright or SIT Foundations, I’ve got the action on my fretless at a little over 1.14mm on the G, and a little under 2mm on the E. It’s virtually effortless to play and sounds amazing. My fretted basses are just enough higher that everything isn’t a buzzy mess.
    I like my neck totally straight and action as low as it goes. On both my basses and guitars.

I got to play Jeff Berlin’s Cort bass once. (It was handed to me by Tal Wilkenfeld, but that’s another story [emoji1])

The first thing everyone said who tried his bass out was “holy sh!t!” The frets are really low.... almost a fretless. And the action was the lowest I’ve ever felt. Every note buzzes, but in a good way. It sounded a lot like a fretless.

I never got the heavy strings and high action thing, but then listen how those people play. It’s all rudimentary stuff. They have no chops. Lol

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    The smallest I've tried, so far, is 9's. One of the issues I've had with those, is getting the small E string to "catch" on the tuner. Even with Kluson style, the string wants to pull through the slot. It could be motivation to try some locking tuners. I've got a nice set of Schallers here that I've had forever. I suppose I should pick a guitar and install them.
    I never had that issue. Maybe it’s the way you’re doing it? I stick the string though the hole and measure two tuner lengths past the tuner I’m putting the string into and put a slight bend into the string. Then I pull it back to the bend I made and wrap it around the post one time, while keeping it taught with my other hand. Then I use a crank to wind it.

I’ve never had strings slip.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Slash is tuned down 1/2 step.

David- You’d laugh at how my basses are setup after all the arguing about heavy strings and higher action. Using 45-100 or 105 strings, usually lower tension sets like Dunlop Super Bright or SIT Foundations, I’ve got the action on my fretless at a little over 1.14mm on the G, and a little under 2mm on the E. It’s virtually effortless to play and sounds amazing. My fretted basses are just enough higher that everything isn’t a buzzy mess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X