X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bongoscot
    replied
    Re: Daughter wants a bass.

I think I found a bass I'm going to get her. She messed around with it for a while and likes it. Its Dean Edge Hammer 4 string. It's all oil finished mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, active pickups. It's not too huge or heavy for her, looks good, feels and sounds good. Dean is a brand I never really considered. I've heard mixed reviews of them but I look at instruments as individuals and this one seems very well constructed. I can get it in a hard shell case for just under 3 bills.

Leave a comment:

• Bongoscot
    replied

Yes I like the looks of the yamaha and I've seen a few Ibanez that I like too. I've had a few Yamaha instruments from electric and acoustic guitars and a keyboard that were all great value. I'll have to give them a closer look. ]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bongoscot; 06-01-2019, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I was absolutely shocked how good the Yamaha lower models are right now. I A/B'd them to basses 4x the money and couldn't tell.

Stellar basses -that would be my recommendation
    here are the ones in the 200-300 range that are really astonishing

RBX

and especially the TRBX (think they are 350-400)

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    I'll agree with Aceman. There's plenty of decent Ibanez basses in pawn shops. Or Yamaha or Schecter. For way less than what they're worth.
    Nothing wrong with the Fender, but I picked up a small room gig ready Peavey TNT 130 from a pawn shop for ~ $150.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    I was absolutely shocked how good the Yamaha lower models are right now. I A/B'd them to basses 4x the money and couldn't tell.

Stellar basses -that would be my recommendation

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Also, that Squier has a ridiculous neck width and is the largest, heaviest object ever built.
    Yes, I agree. Even with my big hands it's uncomfortable. Our now 16 year-old daughter got one for her birthday a few years go and never really played it because the neck was too wide and it was too heavy. It was a Squier Jazz V. I sold it and we snagged an Ibanez Talman TMB-100 for her. She likes that one much better. She really likes my SUB Ray4. The nut width is like a Jazz and it feels like Precision further up the neck.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    +1

A five string isn't a good starter bass.
    Also, that Squier has a ridiculous neck width and is the largest, heaviest object ever built.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Get her something that’s not a Squier Precision Bass V.
    +1

A five string isn't a good starter bass. I'd second the recommendations for an Ibanez Soundgear or one of the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squiers.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I will add that the Sterlings are a solid choice. I've played a few (funny- I haven't tried their guitars yet), and it is amazing what they can do for such little $.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Get her something that’s not a Squier Precision Bass V.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied

I snagged one of the Sterling SUB RAY4 by Music Man and I have to say, it's a fine bass for 3 bills. I slapped a SMB-4a pickup in it, wired in parallel just like the original StingRays. It's super solid.

Leave a comment:

• blueman335
    replied

I have a Squire VM Jazz & really like it.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

Originally posted by Bongoscot View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My $800 budget does take into account that I need an amp. That is my budget for the guitar itself. I'll start her out with a practice amp. We can upgrade amps later but I want the guitar to go the distance.
    If your budget is $800 clear, then by all means, get a used American made G&L. You can't do better for the money, in terms of build quality. LB-100, SB-1, SB-2, JB are all nice passive-pickup equipped basses.

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    replied

Originally posted by Bongoscot View Post
    She has a guitar but she says she wants a bass. I told to learn all of the notes on the bottom 2 strings of her guitar and I'd get her a bass. She did so now I guess I owe her. I was thinking about going with the Squire Classic vibe 70's jazz bass. I like the price and it gets good reviews. She likes the look of it. I guess I'm hesitant about going cheap and having her want another one before long. Would something like a Fender player series be a better choice for a beginner? Maybe a G&l L2000? I'm looking for some guidance. I'd like to stay under 800, preferably less.
    She is 15 years old. I think shell stick with it because she is very into music. She sings and writes lyrics and plays her guitar a lot.
    Is the G&L the Tribute model? I have the USA version and if it's anything like mine it will be very big, heavy (mine is swamp ash) and all the tone control switches might be a little daunting for a beginner.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Which Jackson?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2019, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

I got my Jackson from Musicians Friend for less than $500.
    I can't imagine a better neck.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X