Probably The Best $300 That I have Ever Spent On My Bass Tone For Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably The Best $300 That I have Ever Spent On My Bass Tone For Recording

Now mind you, I think you will either love this, or hate it. Personally, I absolutely love it, and that's not just because I am a King's X fan. I have always been about HUGE lows while having really distinguishable and punchy highs for my bass tone. I've also always loved HUGE lows with a very slight growly and kind of brittle yet somewhat punchy high tone ala "Would" and "Rooster" by Mike Starr of Alice in Chains. Those are the tones that I have always strived for since I have been a "home recording enthusiast". It is somewhat hard to get those huge tones without actually miking some cabinets. In the old days of when I was a kid and was playing live, it took me having two heads, a 1x18, 2x15, 1x18 ported cabinet, and 2x15 ported cabinet to get the sounds this pedal makes. However, I've never been a real "growly" high end type of bass player. I've always loved others' distorted typed tones on bass, but it's never really been my thing. I'm more of a real clean tone type of bass player, yet the high end sounds "growly" if that makes sense. Anyways, this is the best $289 I have ever spent on my bass tone, especially for recording, seeing as how that is the only thing I have used it for. I've only used it for direct recording, and I absolutely love it!!

Pete Thorn interviews Dug Pinnick, Dug and Pete jam on the King's X classic 'Dogman", and Dug shows us his Tech 21 DP3X Signature bass pedal. For info on the...

Re: Probably The Best $300 That I have Ever Spent On My Bass Tone For Recording

That's a cool thing, especially for someone who doesn't really play bass live, but just needs to record it from time to time.

So, I don't love it or hate it. It just doesn't seem like something I need myself. Personally, I need live amps anyhow, so I might as well be able to use them for studio too. I really like the Ampeg Portaflex line for filling both roles, because they're small and light, and can be used direct without needing to have a cab...or live by bringing the cab with. Gain, e.q. with sweepable mids, compression all built in. Pre or post e.q. direct output. And I get to use the same amp live that I made the tracks with. Also, you can run direct and through a cab simultaneously, so you can record one track of each without having to play the part twice.

And it's funny you mention AIC, because I just gigged last night (with the Portaflex), and afterward, this big semi-drunk chick came over and was going on about how "That was some mean dirty bass! That was some dirty bass! I haven't heard bass that dirty since Alice In Chains!" Now, I don't consider my tone dirty by any means, and this band's music is not grungy at all, more rockabilly/punk. But I do go after what you are talking about. Lots of big bottom, round, bassy tone over all, not much treble, but growly mids when I hit hard (and I play flat wound strings too). But I do play pretty hard when called for, and a lot of the growl comes from that.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-22-2019, 06:19 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Ive used Sansamp Tech 21 Bass Pre/DI/OD for 25 years.

They are the best SVT in a box you can buy.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Today I decided to try my old Aphex Aural Exciter B in the loop of my Peavey TNT 130. It sounds similar. Oh and that's with my Jackson concert V (5) tuned to A.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I picked up a VT Deluxe to replace my MXR bass di for rehearsals and personal recording. That thing is amazing

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I've had mine for ages as well and never play without it. For recording I always run separate tracks (XLR and TS) for treated and dry, then blend the two.
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1
            '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
            '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
            '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
            '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Really good pedal. I bought an Ampeg SCR-DI for ampless/direct to FOH because I wanted an Ampeg sound with a mild overdrive and a DI in a box. DP3X was not out yet.
              Will probably get the DP3X to get another flavor for harder stuff.
              I managed to get a similar tone out of a Peavey Alphabass preamp for lows (crossover at 250hz) and Rocktron Voodo Valve (guitar tube preamp/multi-effects) for highs. But it's 2u rackspace and heavier than a pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                Really good pedal. I bought an Ampeg SCR-DI for ampless/direct to FOH because I wanted an Ampeg sound with a mild overdrive and a DI in a box. DP3X was not out yet.
                Will probably get the DP3X to get another flavor for harder stuff.
                I managed to get a similar tone out of a Peavey Alphabass preamp for lows (crossover at 250hz) and Rocktron Voodo Valve (guitar tube preamp/multi-effects) for highs. But it's 2u rackspace and heavier than a pedal.
                That's currently what I'm using. Looking for something to take a line out for power and then into a bass cab on stage for stage volume.

I love that high end thing he was talking about. I think Queensrych has that kind of tone too.
                Last edited by Aceman; 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  That's currently what I'm using. Looking for something to take a line out for power and then into a bass cab on stage for stage volume.
                  You already playing guitar, maybe just a bass amp with a crossover to your guitar amp, use to be Dug Pinnick setup (and a lot of other bass players too).

Comment

Working...
                  X