Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo Jazz Bass set

Any thoughts on these?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Apollo Jazz Bass set

The ones I tried were very vintage sounding Jazz bass sound. I can't imagine I'd ever choose anything else in a a vintage-type Jazz bass. They sound really good and are dead quiet.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just heard a YT comparing several Duncan Jazz Bass models. I'm a guitar player who just plays bass on home recordings, but this just dropped on my radar for a pickup swap on my 2013 Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special. While leaning on a Lightnin' Rods set with a STC-3A EQ, I'm now wondering about matching an Apollo bridge with a Vintage Bass SPB-1 and a STC-3P EQ for overall vintage tones with loads of tone shaping capabilities...
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Well, the Apollo bridge (like most vintage-based PJ setups) will be overpowered by the P bass pickup. The Hot Stack will balance the volumes a bit better.

Comment

Guess the Lightnin Rods won't be as unbalanced as the passive models I mentioned. Am I wrong?
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I always thought the Lightnin Rods were balanced better than the vintage P & J sets.

Comment

Thanks, Mincer. Although they are active they seem to have a vintage vibe to them, so considering all the advantages, namely balance and noise free operation, coupled with the STC-3A they should give me all I'm looking for, and more!

Well, better start saving, then!

Comment

Working...
              X