• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOLLY
    replied
    Re: Bass strings

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    I’m curious about trying these. I really like a bright attack, do the Super Brights have the same fullness and growl and the DR Hi-beams? (My favourite at the moment because they’re bright, keep their tone but are also full and growl.)
    I would say they're somewhat comparable with each other.

Leave a comment:

• El Dunco
    replied

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
    I use the Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steels on my Spector. I tried probably 10 different types/brands of strings on that bass. and I kept going back to them.
    I’m curious about trying these. I really like a bright attack, do the Super Brights have the same fullness and growl and the DR Hi-beams? (My favourite at the moment because they’re bright, keep their tone but are also full and growl.)

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied

Strings make a ridiculous difference on bass. I've got a maple neck/maple body J-bass that's a little bright . . . but manageable with nickle roundwounds. You roll a little tone off and a little more neck than bridge, and it sounds great. Picked up a set of stainless steel roundwounds to try instead. Huge mistake on this guitar. Went from being a little bright to painfully zingy and all over horrible - no matter what settings I put the amp and guitar at.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I recently put SIT Foundations nickel on my Warwick. They’re my new favorite.

Leave a comment:

• JOLLY
    replied

I use the Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steels on my Spector. I tried probably 10 different types/brands of strings on that bass. and I kept going back to them.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    started a topic Bass strings

Bass strings

Everybody knows brand/type of string makes a difference. I'd estimate it's at least 750% more impactful on an electric bass than a guitar.

Put Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 45-105 on my Yamaha, and Dunlop Super Bright Nickel 45-105 on the P-bass. The EBs sound great, good tension, and have a nice punchy tone. When I play "Schism" by Tool, it's obvious EB strings are a big part of Justin Chancellor's tone.

The Dunlops aren't lying about being Super Bright. Ease up, and they've very clear sounding. Hit them hard, and it almost has a synthy quality. Much lighter tension than the Ernie Balls, or the SITs I typically use. My P-bass has a .047uf cap on a 500k pot, and rolled back it has a very Geezer Butler, gnarly tone.
Working...
X