Bass strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass strings

Everybody knows brand/type of string makes a difference. I'd estimate it's at least 750% more impactful on an electric bass than a guitar.

Put Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 45-105 on my Yamaha, and Dunlop Super Bright Nickel 45-105 on the P-bass. The EBs sound great, good tension, and have a nice punchy tone. When I play "Schism" by Tool, it's obvious EB strings are a big part of Justin Chancellor's tone.

The Dunlops aren't lying about being Super Bright. Ease up, and they've very clear sounding. Hit them hard, and it almost has a synthy quality. Much lighter tension than the Ernie Balls, or the SITs I typically use. My P-bass has a .047uf cap on a 500k pot, and rolled back it has a very Geezer Butler, gnarly tone.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Bass strings

I use the Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steels on my Spector. I tried probably 10 different types/brands of strings on that bass. and I kept going back to them.

Comment

I recently put SIT Foundations nickel on my Warwick. They’re my new favorite.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Strings make a ridiculous difference on bass. I've got a maple neck/maple body J-bass that's a little bright . . . but manageable with nickle roundwounds. You roll a little tone off and a little more neck than bridge, and it sounds great. Picked up a set of stainless steel roundwounds to try instead. Huge mistake on this guitar. Went from being a little bright to painfully zingy and all over horrible - no matter what settings I put the amp and guitar at.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          I use the Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steels on my Spector. I tried probably 10 different types/brands of strings on that bass. and I kept going back to them.
          I’m curious about trying these. I really like a bright attack, do the Super Brights have the same fullness and growl and the DR Hi-beams? (My favourite at the moment because they’re bright, keep their tone but are also full and growl.)
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
            I’m curious about trying these. I really like a bright attack, do the Super Brights have the same fullness and growl and the DR Hi-beams? (My favourite at the moment because they’re bright, keep their tone but are also full and growl.)
            I would say they're somewhat comparable with each other.

Comment

Stainless steel D'Addarios for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I recently put SIT Foundations nickel on my Warwick. They’re my new favorite.
                After a few swaps on my Warwick, I’m back to the Foundations. Effing love them.

Comment

Been on a string binge lately. After getting used to my Warwick, my fretted basses always sound clanky, so these are all based on fretless experience.

In the last few months, my Warwick has worn D'Addario Half-Rounds, Chromes, and NYXLs, SIT Foundations, Silencers, and Power Wounds, GHS Boomers, and Dunlop Super Brights. All sets were either 45-100 or 45-105.

I'm glad I tried a set of flats (Chromes), but they're not for me. They're comfortable for my left (fretting) hand, but they feel gross on my right hand. I put them on my fretted P bass after the Warwick, didn't like them there, either.

I used to be a huge fan of half-round strings, specifically SIT Silencers. They feel much better than the D'Addario Half-Rounds, which felt like playing on sandpaper. They sound ok, but didn't spend much time on the bass.

My preference is clearly bright, ultra flexible strings. NYXL, Super Brights, or Foundations are all great, and I think I could use any of them and be pretty happy. I'm currently using the NYXLs, which have a little more tension than the Super Brights, but are very easy to play. The added tension gives a little cleaner sound with my sub-2mm on the low E action*.

* Before anybody mentions that this is too low, it's not. Setup this way, this is the most expressive instrument I've ever played, and is the only electric anything I've owned that I love with a 100% squeaky clean tone. No drive, no 'verb, no nothin.

Comment

I tried d'addario chromes on a squier PJ and they still seem kinda bright to me, was thinking the change from the fender rounds would be greater. They seem kinda versatile but I want to try flats with a bit deeper old school sound, I like the feel.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      I used to be a huge fan of half-round strings, specifically SIT Silencers. They feel much better than the D'Addario Half-Rounds, which felt like playing on sandpaper. They sound ok, but didn't spend much time on the bass.
                      I'm intrigued by the concept of the "half-rounds", and I'd also like to try some SIT's. What caused you to take them off so fast? This would be for my Tobias J.

Comment

Well . . . I need to try some new things, and my J desperately needs new strings. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sit_strings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	5818356

Comment

Got to get a new set for my 5 string Jackson. Going on 3-1/2 years old. Went with EB Cobalts last time. Thinking of something by Dunlop, or maybe Rotosound. I want bright, if anyone has any recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            I'm intrigued by the concept of the "half-rounds", and I'd also like to try some SIT's. What caused you to take them off so fast? This would be for my Tobias J.
                            I went on a string binge and have a bunch of gently-used sets on hand. Unlike guitar strings, you can take them on and off a bunch of times without breaking, so I tend to swap them around frequently.

The Silencers are cool. You’ll probably be a little underwhelmed by how not flat they are at first, but the left hand noise is definitely less. Also, I like them way better than the D’Addario Half-Rounds. Much more pleasant texture. When I get a chance, I’ll pack up the Half-Rounds and send them your way if you’d like to try them.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Got to get a new set for my 5 string Jackson. Going on 3-1/2 years old. Went with EB Cobalts last time. Thinking of something by Dunlop, or maybe Rotosound. I want bright, if anyone has any recommendations.
                              Dunlop Super Bright or SIT Foundations. Really can’t recommend the Foundations strongly enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X