X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer84
    replied
    Re: Bass strings

@Jolly > Haha!!! Yes, they do come with a price, don’t they? But, they sure are worth it! The ease of playability and that tone! I’m looking to get at least tens years out of them. I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by Explorer84; 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Thomastik strings are special. I used them on classical guitar since forever.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

I used D'Addario stainless for years. They did do a number on my frets. On my 5 string I think that I have EB Cobalts. Though after almost 4 years, they're getting a bit dull. I wish I knew what's on my Ibanez 4 string because they sound fantastic.
    I've recently tried Dunlop heavy cores in a few of my guitars and I really like them. So I'm considering trying some Dunlop's on the 5 string when I get around to changing them.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

late to the party here but im a big fan of the dr fat beams for round wounds. i have roto flats on my current bass but its an odd ball anyway

Leave a comment:

• JOLLY
    replied

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
    I just bought my first bass a couple of days ago for home recording. I'm replacing the strings that came on the guitar with a set of Thomastik-Infeld JF344's. These strings are highly recommended.
    Did you sell a kidney to be able to afford those strings?

Leave a comment:

• Explorer84
    replied

I just bought my first bass a couple of days ago for home recording. I'm replacing the strings that came on the guitar with a set of Thomastik-Infeld JF344's. These strings are highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• NoOnesFang13
    replied

I recently ordered a custom set from thats basically just a Stainless regular slinky set with a 110 on the E as i play in dropped D a lot. I really like the sound of stainless strings on bass. Its a swamp ash with burl maple top and a maple neck and fingerboard. Might seem weird to add more brightness with stainless strings but it has a really good zing on while playing i really enjoy. I think the next set im gonna try is the Billy Sheehan custom set from Rotosound next. 110 80 65 43 that way i dont need to custom order the lower string, and i dont think i will mind the lighter G

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Put a really heavy set on my Pbass, D'Addario Balanced Tension XL 50-120. It's tougher to bend, but the action is buzz free down to practically laying on the frets. There's almost no perceptible difference in the force to fret the strings, so that with the sub-2mm (E at the 12th) action makes it almost effortless to play. If I was gonna go play in a jazz setting, with a lot of fast playing, and little bending or two-hand stuff, I think it would be a great setup.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Have you ever tried the Fat Beams? Hi Beams are next on my list.
    Not yet. I believe I actually own a set, but time is da flyin'.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Have you ever tried the Fat Beams? Hi Beams are next on my list.

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

I ended up strongly preferring round core, round wind, but stainless steel wind. Currently using DR Hi-Beams.

I have them on multiple basses, I think as a bass player you get used to your strings, the tension and how the sound changes with playing variations, it is almost an instrument in itself, like playing through the same trusty preamp.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

My new bass came with a fresh set of DR Fat Beams installed. After all the horrors I've heard about SS strings being very hard on the fingers, I love these. The Fat Beams are the same as the Hi Beams (SS wrap on round SS core), except the winding method is different. They're described as "compression wound," and the result is (according to DR) more mids and a bit more tension.

A stainless string-loving bass friend of mine said that SS strings are a huge part of the more modern bass tone, so I'm gonna try them on my Warwick fretless next time around. There are stainless versions of my favorites (Dunlop Super Bright, SIT Foundations), so I can't wait to try those, too.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Just put a set of Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkies on my Warwick. My initial impression is they're great. Similar tension to the Foundations and NYXL, very pleasant feeling to play. They're very present in the upper mids, which means lots of J bass character with no harsh frequencies. Went with Hybrid Slinky (45-105), since that's what I normally use, but next time, I'm going to try something with lighter D & G strings.

My Yamaha PJ has regular Hybrid Slinkies on it, and I think they feel a little rougher. They're also a little more zingy, but they're on a fretted bass with entirely different woods and pickups, so it's tough to compare the tone.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Your J probably sounds lifeless next to your P because: 1) standard J pickups are weak compared to standard P pickups, 2) your P has a 1/4 Lb. pickup, and 3) your P has rounds on it. Duller sounding strings on a bass with an inherently weaker pickup design, compared to more aggressive sounding strings, on a bass with a souped up version of a pickup design that is already inherently beefy. Both basses are set up to be tonal opposites of each other.
    Yup. Exactly what I was going to say. Add to that, an inexpensive Korean Toby, with a somewhat dubious preamp, compared to a genuine Fender P-Bass with, (as you said), QP's and round wounds. Hopefully, the Apollo's will bring some life back, and I'll also try the QP you're sending.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

No way those strings have dulled their tone at that age, just sitting there.

They're different than the .052–.110" Deep Talkin' flats I mentioned. Tonally, they lean more toward the direction of rounds (like D'Addario Chromes also do). But they're still flats, and they sound like it.

Your J probably sounds lifeless next to your P because: 1) standard J pickups are weak compared to standard P pickups, 2) your P has a 1/4 Lb. pickup, and 3) your P has rounds on it. Duller sounding strings on a bass with an inherently weaker pickup design, compared to more aggressive sounding strings, on a bass with a souped up version of a pickup design that is already inherently beefy. Both basses are set up to be tonal opposites of each other.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X