replied
    Re: First gen Gallien Krueger 700 RB with GK SBX 410

Congratulations on a great purchase!

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    I got EHX Battalion from post yesterday. Now that's what I was looking for!
    This is funny. As I was reading down through your post, I was going to suggest the Battalion. I see you've found it.

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    Well, thanks to youtube somewhat recently I learned how fingerstyle bass is actually played... Not that difficult really.
    I don't suppose you remember the specific video you watched? I too, am trying to learn my bass technique.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

I can play a little classical. It made learning to finger style bass way easy. But NOT the same thing.

I often use a pick to learn something then go to fingers for style.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

thats a pretty different technique

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Well, I'm going to reveal my stupidity here too: Actually bought my first bass last year, having solely played guitar before.

I wanted to practice fingerstyle at first, but tought that so difficult to keep rhythm, I decided to use pick to actually get something learned in reasonable time.

Well, thanks to youtube somewhat recently I learned how fingerstyle bass is actually played... Not that difficult really.

I was trying to play it like classical guitar

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    I have an early 90s 400RB which is full range only, and I typically run the boost knob around 2 o'clock. The later 700RBs have a rather tame boost circuit in comparison, while I'm not super familiar with the 1st generation.
    It is tame indeed.

I got EHX Battalion from post yesterday. Now that's what I was looking for!

I think issues with my bass tone is fixed now, that in front produce just about any bass tone I might need or want. For time being at least...

I also ditched the pick. Can't get "that" thump and growl with a pick I guess...

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    i have a 800gb and its a fine sounding amp for what i need from it. not sure about the 700. i usually run the boost up over half way and full frequency rather than biamped
    I have an early 90s 400RB which is full range only, and I typically run the boost knob around 2 o'clock. The later 700RBs have a rather tame boost circuit in comparison, while I'm not super familiar with the 1st generation.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

i have a 800gb and its a fine sounding amp for what i need from it. not sure about the 700. i usually run the boost up over half way and full frequency rather than biamped

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied

I find 4-10s are more for articulation; a great slapping rig. Stack 2 of 'em, and get busy.

Ported (reflex) single or double 15s lord over the low end. Get a female near one of these, start playing "Everyday People" & she'll throw away her Hitachi.

I've been near GK heads once or twice, and have found them a bit finicky. Not my cuppa, but I wouldn't turn down a free one, though.
    Edens, OTOH, have EQ controls that are right in the pocket for my style of play (general biz -- everything from ballads to pop, to smooth jazz & funk).

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Well, I found these instructon fro TalkBass forum and proceeded to crank boost and woofer full on.

Better, but it's still either plunky or boomy depending on the eq rather growly...

Boost iswhere you want to get anything resembling distortion from.
    Input set to "just under clipping," master all the way up if you want the power section hitting the rails.

Woofer to Maximum. 100%. Full on. Always. I owned my amp for 2 years before I figured this out, mostly because other amp brands don't operate like this and I didn't pay a lot of attention.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

So, I made the trade and having been playing it half a year, I'd like some suggestions to dial it in...

Fislrst of all, it sounds great. Much more organic and hard hitting than VT500. It's like comparing real bass and modeled one kind of thing (Not sure how close to reality that analogy is).

Then, I probably have things to learn... these are described being pretty much full rock amps and I can't seem to get it sound aggressive at all. Despite trying all sorts of settings it sounds clean and mellow.

I do have generally soft touch, but even when play stupidly hard with a pick, it makes more of a "boom" than "growl"

I have Yamaha BB with ceramic rail J/P pickups. P pickup sounds too soft so I usually play with bridge J pup.

It does have flatwounds, but I also have Tokai P bass with roundwounds and it sound's more mellow...

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    started a topic First gen Gallien Krueger 700 RB with GK SBX 410

First gen Gallien Krueger 700 RB with GK SBX 410

What is general consensus / your opinion of these amps? I have my eye on that set for seemingly really good price, and I already have a buyer for my current rig (Tech21 vt500 + Warwick 410), I would replace with GK.

There seems to be not that much info about these online?
Working...
X