• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Re: Bass pedals

TalkBass is great.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

This inspired me to go to Talk Bass. Whole sub forum on bass pedals there....

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I said "can't" read carefully....
    Oops

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    There isn't much you can do with that? Dude, wtf?
    I said "can't" read carefully....

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Let's face it...bass just does not need that many pedals. But I do! Fortunately I play guitar mostly...

Comp
    Octave
    OD/Fuzz
    Synth
    Chorus
    Optional: Wah

Man - there isn't much you can't do with that. And that's a pretty big board right there.I almost never want Delay/Verb on a bass and never see bass players use it.
    There isn't much you can do with that? Dude, wtf?

It really depends on the setting, I suppose. If we're talking most rock bands, yeah, no need for anything. If we're talking me hanging out with my looper, I always use delay and reverb. I'll turn on my fuzz with the Bassballs in front, and play weird synth stuff. If I loop a bassline to play melodically over, I'll do it with a fretted bass, then double it with my fretless with light tremolo.

The difference in bass and guitar is really in the attitude of the musicians.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

I really wanted that MXR M87 pedal. Soooo much good press on it! Ended up with Boss Limiter because of good deal.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Let's face it...bass just does not need that many pedals. But I do! Fortunately I play guitar mostly...

Comp
    Octave
    OD/Fuzz
    Synth
    Chorus
    Optional: Wah

Man - there isn't much you can't do with that. And that's a pretty big board right there.I almost never want Delay/Verb on a bass and never see bass players use it.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

When I use a bass effect (besides the rack Aphex Aural Exciter)
    It's a Keeley 4 knob compressor.
    But the new Ibanez really doesn't need it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I’m gonna get a Boss CS-2, purely because it’s Juan Alderete’s favorite pedal.

Leave a comment:

• FuseG4
    replied

No pedals yet but looking to add a compressor when I get some money not earmarked for essentials
    Narrowed it down to the M87, the studio bass, or maybe earthquaker Warden cuz it seems to add a little color that sounds nice in demos

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Updated my board. Replaced the One Spot with a Donner “isolated” supply. Not sure if it really is isolated, but it has a ton out outlets and even with an OD and fuzz on, it’s silent.

D’Addario Chromatic Tuner
    EHX Bass Balls mini
    SolidgoldFX Beta Hi Gain
    Way Huge Seollen Pickle
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Donner RevEcho
    Boss RC-20XL

Leave a comment:

• Liko
    replied

Originally posted by Liko View Post
    I use my guitar board for bass much like NoOnesFang13. From a Polytune 3, I go to an MXR M87 bass compressor (the Studio Comp is *exactly* the same, just black), then into a Nano Big Muff Pi feeding a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. From there, signal hits a Hardwire Tube OD and Valve Distortion Jekyll-and-Hyde gain stack, then a Boss CEB-3 chorus, and finally a Neunaber Immerse MkII as one heckuva reverb pedal with a poor-man's delay.

Only thing that really changes in the whole rig are the settings. For bass, I back off the BMP's tone and gain, and boost bass in the OD/dist. Somewhere in this house full of boxes that were never fully unpacked, I have an ODB-3 and an LMB-3 from a much older pedal board, which would be a great start on a bass-only board along with the TU-2 and Hardwire reverb that I recently replaced with the PolyTune and Immerse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Update on this; between a work anniversary bonus and the government bribing the public with its own money, I've set up a bass-only board. I wasn't using half the stuff on the guitar board with a four- or five-string plugged in, so the smaller footprint of the dedicated board is easier to truck and more utilitarian for my bass needs, while the effects are bass-specific which reduces the need to crank low-end EQs to keep the bottom end in a TS-type OD or Plexi-ish distortion (and then have to set them back to more guitar-ish settings).

Current bass board:

1. Boss TU-2 Tuner
    2. MXR M87 Bass Compressor
    3. EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi Fuzz
    4. Xotic EP Booster Clean Boost
    5. EHX Bass Soul Food Light Overdrive
    6. Wampler Low Blow Bass OD/Distortion
    7. Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb

Very gain-heavy; it's what I use most, I don't do a whole lot of modulation-type stuff on bass, though a chorus or phaser wouldn't go unused. The DBBMP is one heckuva pedal, incorporating a Sovtek-style "Green Russian" BMP with a continuously-variable dry blend, noise gate and HPF/LPF crossover to fine-tune your fuzz so it doesn't totally take over. Even when I'm not using the fuzz, I'll set it to 100% dry and keep it on to use the noise gate to lower the floor for other gain pedals.

The compressor and EP boost are always on as well, the comp for general dynamic reasons, while the EP boost warms up my active fivers and solid-state amp while allowing me to reduce the compressor's output gain to avoid noise there. The EP Boost also gives the Bass Soul Food a much-needed push; by itself, this vaguely Klon-ish circuit is basically a color boost up till at least noon on the dial, but the EP Boost juices the input enough that I get a fuller range of drive out of the knob.

I almost flipped the Soul Food back on to Reverb based on the disappointing amount of dirt available, but oh my gods, the tone you get from this thing; edgy, raw, rough, "don't f*** with me" growl that drops in to any alt-rock hit of the last 30 years. Once I had that dialed in, I couldn't wipe the stink-face off my already-ugly mug until a half hour after I'd stopped playing.

The Low Blow is much more metal through most of its tone envelope; there's a pretty Burton-esque buzzsaw going in the high mids starting at about 10 o'clock on the gain dial that really doesn't filter or EQ back out without losing all the treble from your tone. It's perfect for pretty much anything thrash, but it takes a light touch on the controls to back it off for anything more subtle, which is another good reason to keep the Soul Food around.

The RV-7, I'm using more or less because I have it. It's not a bad reverb, but the Neunaber Immerse MkII is better for soaked-in-reverb ambient stuff that keeps me sane in these COVID-infested quarantine times. That kind of reverb doesn't work too well for most bass stuff anyway, so the RV-7 is set to a relatively subtle room tone, just backing my ears a bit from the amp in headphones and the odd recorded track.

There's one more pedal on the way, a cheap mini-size one-knob gate, which will go after either the DBBMP or the EP Booster (haven't decided yet, depends on where most of the remaining noise is) and do the gate-only job for clean or driven tones, so the DBBMP can be the fuzz it's supposed to be when I turn it on. I'm considering moving the CEB-3 Bass Chorus off the guitar board to the bass board, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with on the guitar board. Maybe a Julia V2; she's looking as sexy as she sounds these days, but that's a lotta bux for a chorus (and the V1s aren't really any cheaper). Anyway, doesn't have to happen this month, or this year.
    Last edited by Liko; 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

After the flood last week, all my pedals are good, but my 1 Spot did not survive. Luckily I have another single wall wart, so I've been plugging in one pedal at a time. Surprisingly, it turns out my if-i-could-only-have-one pedal isn't distortion, an envelope filter, or wah, but my Donner RevEcho. I'm really deep diving what each pedal is capable of like this, and it's very inspiring.

Leave a comment:

• Liko
    replied

I use my guitar board for bass much like NoOnesFang13. From a Polytune 3, I go to an MXR M87 bass compressor (the Studio Comp is *exactly* the same, just black), then into a Nano Big Muff Pi feeding a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. From there, signal hits a Hardwire Tube OD and Valve Distortion Jekyll-and-Hyde gain stack, then a Boss CEB-3 chorus, and finally a Neunaber Immerse MkII as one heckuva reverb pedal with a poor-man's delay.

Only thing that really changes in the whole rig are the settings. For bass, I back off the BMP's tone and gain, and boost bass in the OD/dist. Somewhere in this house full of boxes that were never fully unpacked, I have an ODB-3 and an LMB-3 from a much older pedal board, which would be a great start on a bass-only board along with the TU-2 and Hardwire reverb that I recently replaced with the PolyTune and Immerse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied

I just got a Tech21 DUG on recommendation and have only had a bit of play time. It’s a very powerful pedal and I’ve got some cool sounds so far, from JJ Burrell to Lemmy. I’ve got a feeling there’s a lot more to it than that, It’s just one of those pedals that I think will keep you finding new sounds. I thought I liked my Darkglass B3K but this has so much more! It feels really solid and well built for such a small package.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X