Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do bass guys do pup swaps / wiring changes like the guitar guys/gals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do bass guys do pup swaps / wiring changes like the guitar guys/gals?

I have a P-Bass and a J-Bass. Both would be stock except that I acquired the P-Bass with a bad pup, so I put in a Duncan QP. Sounds great. Now I'm thinking of doing a pup swap on the J. That got me to thinking. Do bass guys mess much with wiring mods? Like doing ser/par, or splitting stacks, etc? Do you swap pups? Preamps? Magnets?

I don't seem to see many threads like this in the bass forum. Just curious.

Artie

Re: Do bass guys do pup swaps / wiring changes like the guitar guys/gals?

The Nordstrand J pup in my ibanez isn't humbucking and there is apparently a line by them that is a pop in for my ibanez but seems to be a custom route with Nordstrand for the cover. I just dial in more of the P to get some of the buzz out.
    Last edited by grumptruck; 02-28-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Answer Yes,

Rock dudes put in QPs and call it a day usually.

Jazz and Pop dudes put in all kinds of cool options -like Bartolini systems etc.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

hard to mag swap on a p bass or j pass pup

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Answer Yes,

Rock dudes put in QPs and call it a day usually.

Jazz and Pop dudes put in all kinds of cool options -like Bartolini systems etc.
          My Tobias J-bass has Bartolini's. Maybe I should leave it alone.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          hard to mag swap on a p bass or j pass pup
          I figured as much, but wasn't sure.

Comment

Only two of my basses are stock in terms of pickups, my '69 Fender Mustang and my '69 Gibson EB-1. Everything else has been upgraded, swapped around, and rewired. Three of my basses have S-P switching, with a DPDT switches. Two have blend knobs, which were not stock.

That being said, I've done none of this work myself; I've been using the same tech for years.
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1
            '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
            '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
            '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
            '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

On the TalkBass forum, people are just as obsessive as we are...and they are talking about bass, forcrissakes....
              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Bassists are too busy at gigs making money to have time to tinker.

I’ve seen a few guys mess with wiring and pickups, etc. but it seems like most select a bass that they like the sound of, then go play. If they want the active sound they get an active bass, or they specifically are looking for a P, J, Rick or Gibson sound and just buy that.

Really in the end, what more do you need other than a P Bass, right?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  On the TalkBass forum, people are just as obsessive as we are, but they are talking about bass, which is obviously most important....
                  I fixed your comment.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1
                  '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                  '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Really in the end, what more do you need other than a P Bass, right?
                    A J bass.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                      A PJ bass.
                      Fixed yours as well. :-p

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck View Post
                        Fixed yours as well. :-p
                        I have one of those as well, but in my view that's a third flavor. The "P" or "J" aspects of a P/J are never as good as either a P or a J.
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                          I have one of those as well, but in my view that's a third flavor. The "P" or "J" aspects of a P/J are never as good as either a P or a J.
                          I've run the numbers here, and this statement checks out.
                          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

I've run the numbers here, and this statement checks out.
                            Glad to hear this.

I don't claim technical expertise at all: I just use my ears. I used to use my P/J for gigging, for convenience. But when I'd pull out my P it was like pulling out the big gun. The same goes for my J for recording.
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

On the TalkBass forum, people are just as obsessive as we are...and they are talking about bass, forcrissakes....
                              Good point. I fell into both my P and my J by accident. But I'm glad I have one of each. They are fun to play with.

Comment

Working...
                              X