I want a 5 string Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a 5 string Jazz

Had no interest in 5 or 6 strings... now I want both. Especially a 5 string Jazz or PJ.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: I want a 5 string Jazz

When's the upright coming?
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

We have one. My wife played one in jazz band in high school. Bought her one for our anniversary almost 10 years ago. She’s never had time to get back into it much. I’ve taken a spin on it a few times and genuinely do not enjoy playing it.

If I was going to, I’d want one of those goofy electric solid bodies. I love the amplifier half at least as much as the strings and wood part of it. Same with guitar. My bluegrass infatuation was short lived due to that.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Omg are you kidding me? You can't hack it on the upright? Play a blues on it. Get real man. Play a simple head with the bow.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Omg are you kidding me? You can't hack it on the upright? Play a blues on it. Get real man. Play a simple head with the bow.
          I’m able to play it, but I don’t enjoy it. Pretty sure I said that in the other post. The attitude in your post is a big reason why I bounced from bluegrass. When I was learning bluegrass guitar, I told my dad I wasn’t really into the alternating bass thing. He said the only people that didn’t do it were those who were unable. I rolled my eyes and said it’s not that hard, i just don’t like it. What’s the point of playing the same thing the bass player is doing? He did what you just did, and explained more of what I should do with it. It did nothing to make me enjoy it more.

Also, I’d rather punch myself in the balls than use flat wound strings on anything.

The only instrument I’ve genuinely given up on because I “couldn’t hack it” was banjo.

Comment

Sorry, I was drunk. I understand your reply tho. I like the instrument but don't see myself using it much these days.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Sorry, I was drunk. I understand your reply tho. I like the instrument but don't see myself using it much these days.
              Lol, all good.

It's also worth saying that I won't put any more effort into the upright out of sensitivity for my wife. It would cause a serious rift between us if I started playing the thing she really wants to play. I'm working on getting her to mess with it again, but it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

I can definitely see that.
                I bought them for you

Comment

So ur gonna get a 5 or a 6? What music would you play on it? I kinda want a Bass VI.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Yeah, that attitude is prevalent around many styles and really just needs to go away. People like what they like, and different approaches spawn different music, which is always a good thing.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Consider stringing a regular bass B-E-A-D instead. I myself think real five strings are ugly as sin, feel bad when playing in the standard range, and have an association with sleaze, dooshery, and bad music.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Lol, be honest now

Part of it is wanting a J bass. My Warwick has J pickups, but I love the look of a J. If I don’t end up getting one, I do intend to BEAD my Yamaha PJ. I think I might be more into a high C than a low B, though, thus the interest in a 6. Evan Brewer has been a favorite for a long time, and I love what he does with a high C 5.

Comment

If I got an upright, I would have to get one with a high C. That would be epic I think.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Had no interest in 5 or 6 strings... now I want both. Especially a 5 string Jazz or PJ.
                            I have a hard enough time with 4.

Good luck. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              Consider stringing a regular bass B-E-A-D instead. I myself think real five strings are ugly as sin, feel bad when playing in the standard range, and have an association with sleaze, dooshery, and bad music.
                              I was very intrigued by this idea because I absolutely abhor anything other than a 4-string bass, but would probably find the sub-lows of a B useful since I play a lot of reggae. I think I could easily live without the G.

My tech confirmed that he does this kind of set up all the time. So I'm going to switch my '84 Fender JBS to this tuning. While I'm at it, he'll get rid of the blend and put in a DPDT S-P switch.

Thanks Itsabass for the idea and thanks JB_From_Hell for the original post. This otherwise would not have come up.
                              Last edited by dg27; 03-09-2020, 02:15 PM. Reason: correction
                              '69 Fender Mustang bass
                              '69 Gibson EB-1
                              '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                              '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                              '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                              '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                              '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                              '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Working...
                              X