• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aceman
    replied
    Re: I have an idea. Am I crazy? Bass as bass+rhythm

Originally posted by parkerss85 View Post
    Aceman, I think it would be a great idea.
    2 posts and he already appreciates my genius!

Leave a comment:

• parkerss85
    replied

Aceman, I think it would be a great idea. If you have some good audio online service, can you share it, recommend something great? For example, like this one ( url: https://traktrain.com/filter/free-beats ), that I got recently. It has every genre I like, even beats and bass audio tracks. And they get new tracks every single day.
    Last edited by parkerss85; 04-02-2020, 03:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Interesting. I am all for new applications of effects. But if the band sounds weak when the guitarist does a solo, it is either the bassist's tone or playing that needs to be looked at, or the song's arrangement as a whole.
    It's a common problem for bands trying to replicate multiple guitar tracks live with only one guitar player. To me, the best solution is another guitar player, but a lot of bands are going with three musicians to cut costs. Altering the bass tone won't fix anything if the bass part isn't designed to fill space.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I just need to figure out how to re-combine the sounds. Splitting is easy. Back together - not so much!
    Why not use a DI into its own channel? That would allow you to blend more or less of the "guitar" into the mix.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

ok heres what i was doing

bass > ABY >

chain one
    pog clone octave pedal to bounce up
    behringer Pitch shifter that adds a third or fifth
    into a DS1 or Fuzz whatever

chain two
    clean bass side
    a bit of chorus
    to the bass amp

this is what the guy from Royal Blood does

keep in mind its just a drummer and a bass player

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

The bass player would have to mainly stick to roots or it would get very confusing sounding quickly. If the bass player was walking and the "synthetic" rhythm guitar was following the harmony would be all over the place.

Leave a comment:

• dg27
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Interesting. I am all for new applications of effects. But if the band sounds weak when the guitarist does a solo, it is either the bassist's tone or playing that needs to be looked at, or the song's arrangement as a whole.
    I'm not one for doing something just because it can be done. And my highest priority is always to have whatever instrumentation that's used serve the song (not vice versa).

If the song is weak, bells and whistles will just be lipstick on a pig.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
    Geddy Lee used a Moog Taurus pedal for chordal sounds while also playing a bass line.
    I think they were just really deep bass notes, and no chords. Chris Squire did the same. He also split his bass into highs and los- highs went to a Marshall guitar amp, lows to an SVT. Someone else carried his rig around.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

2 amps.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

I just need to figure out how to re-combine the sounds. Splitting is easy. Back together - not so much!

Leave a comment:

• idsnowdog
    replied

Geddy Lee used a Moog Taurus pedal for chordal sounds while also playing a bass line.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-15-2020, 05:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• akio
    replied

Why not just run the wet chain straight into a real guitar amp while you’re at it?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

I think it's a good idea and you should try it. Power trios can sound good during the guitar solo if the rhythm section is killing it. Like Venom. They kill. It sounds super full. Or like Royal Blood only has a bass and has 1 amp clean and 1 dirty. I think you should experiment tho.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

It would kind of sound like a guitar was playing power chords, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle. That's no reason not to do it, though.

A lot of my favorite rock bands are one guitar groups. I like that in a Pantera song, there's no rhythm guitar during the solo and Rex (bass player) plays a little more to fill in the space. If I were playing in a band, I'd just make my part a little busier during the solo. The whole "it sounds just like the album" bit does nothing for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X