X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uOpt
    replied
    Re: Bass 6 project?

I have a Music Man Bongo 6 single humbucker.

Quite affordable used and a solid instrument.

ETA: thanks for reminding me, it was time to get the batteries out before they leak. I hate that sort of thing.
    Last edited by uOpt; 04-19-2020, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CapoFirstFret
    replied

I just picked up a Danelectro Baritone (will be here next week) mostly because it's a 29.75" scale. Could be a baritone or a bass vi. I'm gonna try it both ways at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

^ Why would I need as high of tension as possible? I have about 15lbs of tension per string in my sets on my strats which is low according to most people. And they're easy to play but still by no means loose, still kind of tight, and don't flap at all. I was thinking of shooting for this tension or maybe a little higher in case there's more flap from a longer scale. I don't need to slam with my right hand. I always build my own sets and I've already put in the years discovering what works for me. It would only take 1 or 2 tries with this new ax.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I also tried .070, .072, and .074. Wasn't happy with any of them, including when I'd drop the .080" down to F or E. The best compromise was to go too light, and play with a really light attack, but the ultimate solution for me was to sell the guitar.
    I don't understand. 64 sounded good but was floppy, 80 sounded bad but played well, and everything in between sounded bad?? That makes so sense! Why would that be? I'm sure there's a tension that wouldn't flap but would sound good too.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    19-85 is way too small for a bass VI. I use 26-95s on mine in E standard.
    I don't like the treble strings way higher in tension than the bass strings. I like them slightly lower than the bass strings and the set balanced overall.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-07-2020, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

There are Bass VI strings available in .084", .095", and .100" for the low string. If tuning to D, I recommend going as high tension as possible. That said, even a .095" (which I consider a very skinny E string even on a long scale bass) makes the Bass VI feel cramped to me.

You can always put together your own set, if you are willing to spend a bunch of money and time experimenting.

Leave a comment:

• Empty Pockets
    replied

19-85 is way too small for a bass VI. I use 26-95s on mine in E standard.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

Using higher strings is the solution for many "floppiness" and apparent tension issues. IMO, the average person has become accustomed, to running their strings very low. This doesn't work as well with thicker, looser strings on a shorter scale instrument. Raise your strings, and your setup becomes easier in a couple of ways, IME. The lighter the strings are, the higher I set them, in general.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    That's cuz ur spex don't equal 15lbs, they equal 13.5 and 19.5.
    I also tried .070, .072, and .074. Wasn't happy with any of them, including when I'd drop the .080" down to F or E. The best compromise was to go too light, and play with a really light attack, but the ultimate solution for me was to sell the guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Empty Pockets
    replied

Schecter Ultra and Hellcat VIs are great. I have an MIJ Fender Jaguar bass VI and a Schecter Ultra VI and I keep the Schecter out on a stand by my amp next to my favorite guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

Those look great! Poplar? Oh noo!!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

This is the Ernie Ball I was talking about...expensive, but it sounds great. This is the OLP version.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied

Here's the Ibanez I was talking about - the SRC6....

Lots of videos if you search.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

That's cuz ur spex don't equal 15lbs, they equal 13.5 and 19.5.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

Agree on at least 30”. You’re talking D like drop D on a bass? On my 27.5” 8 string, F# (2nd fret on a bass low E) was floppy with a .064” but sounded good. With an .080 it felt good but sounded awful. 15 lbs on that long of a string sucks.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied

Ibanez makes some great baritone guitars and long scale stuff.... but about 8 years they brought out one that was dynamite and made for only 2 years. I can't remember what they called it, it was only available in brown and it was priced quite affordably. Anyone recall it? I saw videos on YT....

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

With that tuning, I'd go for the normal 30" Bass VI scale. The extra 1 inch plus in scale length will help quite a bit maintaining good string tension. A regular Bass VI has pretty loose strings, even tuned in E with a 30" scale. Shorten the scale AND lower the tuning, and it'll be a flop fest, with the indistinct notes and poor intonation to go along with it.

You can get 30" scale six string basses at Warmoth too.

The Bass VI is really a sub-octave guitar, FWIW. It's just a guitar an octave down. The four low strings cover the same range as a bass guitar, but the strings across the board are tuned in the same relationships as a guitar's. They have a general feel closer to the looser, skinnier feel of guitar strings than to the tighter, fatter feel of bass strings. Their tight string spacing makes typical bass guitar finger plucking technique hard to use. Not to mention the more guitar-like electronics and vibrato that Fender used.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-04-2020, 03:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X