• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    To the OP: If I was going to be upset about anything, it would be that the body seems to be wrapped in about an 1/8" plastic coating. Maybe it's just the photo angle, but that "finish" looks bizarre.

Yamaha actually did something like this with their RGX A2 model:
    The AGX A2 was a very light guitar, and a pretty awesome idea. But the marketing looked especially deceptive...a lot of words for what is essentially a form of plywood with balsa in the center.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

To the OP: If I was going to be upset about anything, it would be that the body seems to be wrapped in about an 1/8" plastic coating. Maybe it's just the photo angle, but that "finish" looks bizarre.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Gibson used balsa as the center block of many 90s-era semihollows.
    Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Which, as it turns out - isn't so bad. Billy Gibbons has a guitar made of balsa, it looks like a big jazz box. I think Dean built it?
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    I wonder how balsa wrapped in carbon fiber would sound.
    Yamaha actually did something like this with their RGX A2 model:

The A.I.R. construction body offers a 3 ‘sound tube’ bridge design that allows the entire internal interior area to vibrate while the surrounding harder wood material prevents the sound from escaping. These intensified internal vibrations are then efficiently communicated to the pickups by the solid wood Falkata wood core (a very light weight wood similar to Balsawood that is very environmentally friendly) and this core is covered by Agathis.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
    Oh really? You make fun of me because I can't afford a fancy instrument? Classy.

Snobbish twit.
    You did NOT say that to me!?!?!?! I am the king of cheap @$$ effing junk guitars and defenders of a righteous tone even if it comes off a broom with a twine string being transmitted through a refrigerator magnet!

You sir, as mentioned, trashed a company, and then got all tone wood about it. I have some junky guitars that I love. But I don't go nuts on them for "Floyd Rose Fraud" or anything.

Set your expectations appropriately, and avoid disappointment. That does not mean accept broken junk.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Wood is wood.

There are differences, but thinking fancier woods are somehow better is just pointless corksniffery.

This I think is just about principle.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
    Oh really? You make fun of me because I can't afford a fancy instrument? Classy.

Snobbish twit.
    your first post trashed an entire company
    because of your budget

nice

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

Snobbish twit.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

OP is obviously a "Cortek Sniffer"

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
    Ouch!

Still, the bass guitar is a cheapo where all the value was put into making it playable. They used to be made by Cortek under contract so Ibanez didn't even see see it. Still, they typically play well out of the box and excellent after a fret level but I would not recommend this type of a guitar when looking for exquisite woood.

There's wood for cheap mass produced guitars and then there's wood for people who appreciate it. These two sets of buyers typically have few in common. Still among inexpensive guitars, some have a lot of character and are inspiring, can't argue with that. I recommend that you just set up the guitar for best tone and playability and simply enjoy it. The sheer fact of spec discrepancies means that you can sometimes get an unexpectedly perfect piece and/or a combo of super nice selection. When that happens, unicorns squirt rainbows and all sorts of voodoo takes place.

Yeah no offence Goober, just pulling your leg
    Exquisite wood?
    its an SR300

he's just fussing bout his bottom feeder bass isn't Cork enough to sniff

really I like the SR series and have had several of the 300

had a 250 once, beautiful finish on it,
    but the fretboard edges weren't rounded and it seemed the neck was wider
    just seemed like it got yanked off the assembly line early, you know

they play good and sound good
    ergonomically nice

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

As you say, perhaps outsourced to Cortek. Sounds pretty good after adjusting the pups, and it plays great too.

Leave a comment:

• vinta9e
    replied

Ouch!

Still, the bass guitar is a cheapo where all the value was put into making it playable. They used to be made by Cortek under contract so Ibanez didn't even see see it. Still, they typically play well out of the box and excellent after a fret level but I would not recommend this type of a guitar when looking for exquisite woood.

There's wood for cheap mass produced guitars and then there's wood for people who appreciate it. These two sets of buyers typically have few in common. Still among inexpensive guitars, some have a lot of character and are inspiring, can't argue with that. I recommend that you just set up the guitar for best tone and playability and simply enjoy it. The sheer fact of spec discrepancies means that you can sometimes get an unexpectedly perfect piece and/or a combo of super nice selection. When that happens, unicorns squirt rainbows and all sorts of voodoo takes place.

Yeah no offence Goober, just pulling your leg

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
    Seems everyone got so excited about wood that the dowel placed inside the strap button hasn't been scrutinized which to me is the biggest point of interest about that cheapo Ibby.
    OP here: It's a piece of cardboard from the box in which it came. It's lodged firmly in there. Tells you how hard that box hit the ground. There was styrofoam and a bunch of junk for padding, but not near the strap button obviously.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied

Seems everyone got so excited about wood that the dowel placed inside the strap button hasn't been scrutinized......
    We did? When? Who?

Leave a comment:

• vinta9e
    replied

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    It was a dog**** guitar, and yet we both sit and kick ourselves for letting it go. Good is good, period.
    Bad guitars can be exciting, too.

Seems everyone got so excited about wood that the dowel placed inside the strap button hasn't been scrutinized which to me is the biggest point of interest about that cheapo Ibby. Harder to unscrew or tighten than a pentalobe, wtf you gotta be trollin!?

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

You said "wood".

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied

Tonewood. Lol

Leave a comment:

Working...