Ibanez wood fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Seems everyone got so excited about wood that the dowel placed inside the strap button hasn't been scrutinized......
    We did? When? Who?

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
      Seems everyone got so excited about wood that the dowel placed inside the strap button hasn't been scrutinized which to me is the biggest point of interest about that cheapo Ibby.
      OP here: It's a piece of cardboard from the box in which it came. It's lodged firmly in there. Tells you how hard that box hit the ground. There was styrofoam and a bunch of junk for padding, but not near the strap button obviously.

Comment

Ouch!

Still, the bass guitar is a cheapo where all the value was put into making it playable. They used to be made by Cortek under contract so Ibanez didn't even see see it. Still, they typically play well out of the box and excellent after a fret level but I would not recommend this type of a guitar when looking for exquisite woood.

There's wood for cheap mass produced guitars and then there's wood for people who appreciate it. These two sets of buyers typically have few in common. Still among inexpensive guitars, some have a lot of character and are inspiring, can't argue with that. I recommend that you just set up the guitar for best tone and playability and simply enjoy it. The sheer fact of spec discrepancies means that you can sometimes get an unexpectedly perfect piece and/or a combo of super nice selection. When that happens, unicorns squirt rainbows and all sorts of voodoo takes place.

Yeah no offence Goober, just pulling your leg

Comment

As you say, perhaps outsourced to Cortek. Sounds pretty good after adjusting the pups, and it plays great too.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
            Ouch!

Still, the bass guitar is a cheapo where all the value was put into making it playable. They used to be made by Cortek under contract so Ibanez didn't even see see it. Still, they typically play well out of the box and excellent after a fret level but I would not recommend this type of a guitar when looking for exquisite woood.

There's wood for cheap mass produced guitars and then there's wood for people who appreciate it. These two sets of buyers typically have few in common. Still among inexpensive guitars, some have a lot of character and are inspiring, can't argue with that. I recommend that you just set up the guitar for best tone and playability and simply enjoy it. The sheer fact of spec discrepancies means that you can sometimes get an unexpectedly perfect piece and/or a combo of super nice selection. When that happens, unicorns squirt rainbows and all sorts of voodoo takes place.

Yeah no offence Goober, just pulling your leg
            Exquisite wood?
            its an SR300

he's just fussing bout his bottom feeder bass isn't Cork enough to sniff

really I like the SR series and have had several of the 300

had a 250 once, beautiful finish on it,
            but the fretboard edges weren't rounded and it seemed the neck was wider
            just seemed like it got yanked off the assembly line early, you know

they play good and sound good
            ergonomically nice
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

OP is obviously a "Cortek Sniffer"
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Oh really? You make fun of me because I can't afford a fancy instrument? Classy.

Snobbish twit.

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                  Oh really? You make fun of me because I can't afford a fancy instrument? Classy.

Snobbish twit.
                  your first post trashed an entire company
                  because of your budget

nice
                  EHD

Comment

Wood is wood.

There are differences, but thinking fancier woods are somehow better is just pointless corksniffery.

This I think is just about principle.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post

Snobbish twit.
                      You did NOT say that to me!?!?!?! I am the king of cheap @$$ effing junk guitars and defenders of a righteous tone even if it comes off a broom with a twine string being transmitted through a refrigerator magnet!

You sir, as mentioned, trashed a company, and then got all tone wood about it. I have some junky guitars that I love. But I don't go nuts on them for "Floyd Rose Fraud" or anything.

Set your expectations appropriately, and avoid disappointment. That does not mean accept broken junk.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

To the OP: If I was going to be upset about anything, it would be that the body seems to be wrapped in about an 1/8" plastic coating. Maybe it's just the photo angle, but that "finish" looks bizarre.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Gibson used balsa as the center block of many 90s-era semihollows.
                        Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        Which, as it turns out - isn't so bad. Billy Gibbons has a guitar made of balsa, it looks like a big jazz box. I think Dean built it?
                        Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        I wonder how balsa wrapped in carbon fiber would sound.
                        Yamaha actually did something like this with their RGX A2 model:

The A.I.R. construction body offers a 3 ‘sound tube’ bridge design that allows the entire internal interior area to vibrate while the surrounding harder wood material prevents the sound from escaping. These intensified internal vibrations are then efficiently communicated to the pickups by the solid wood Falkata wood core (a very light weight wood similar to Balsawood that is very environmentally friendly) and this core is covered by Agathis.
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-07-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          To the OP: If I was going to be upset about anything, it would be that the body seems to be wrapped in about an 1/8" plastic coating. Maybe it's just the photo angle, but that "finish" looks bizarre.

Yamaha actually did something like this with their RGX A2 model:
                          The AGX A2 was a very light guitar, and a pretty awesome idea. But the marketing looked especially deceptive...a lot of words for what is essentially a form of plywood with balsa in the center.
                          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            Yeah, so what... It's still a budget fiddle and should not be judged by the same standards as higher tier guitars...

Dear OP, no reason to be so butthurt about this simple fact, please read on.

It is the policy of all major brand name owners is that the entry level stuff should just about intonate and stay solid but if you want fancy features, you gotta pay up with diminishing returns. You can call it snob or you can say that discerning customers are welcome to open their wallets a little wider, it's the same thing in essence... Don't forget large scale guitar building is yet another money making machine and please adjust your expectations to reality.

Comment

In internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
                              Troll thread
                              EHD

Comment

Hey guys,

I think we gotta be gentle here,

OP's got a point.

If you're paying for an instrument, where the manufacturer states it's made out of "Wood A",
                                but you find out, that it's made out of "Wood B"- then yes, I'd state that the manufacturer is lieing,
                                and fooling their customers... :o

-Erl
                                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X